|Arbuthnot Banking Group
||EPS - Basic
||Market Cap (m)
Arbuthnot Banking Share Discussion Threads
Showing 451 to 473 of 475 messages
|Large purchase of 11k shares this morning.Buying back in after avoiding the div. and it's tax implications?
Don't immediately see any real catalyst at the moment to buy, but time will tell.....
|MMs ruining this one|
|Sold some in the ISA.@@£13.76. So really no change on last night's closing price I.e. X div
Well seems I did something right for a change! Down £4 as I speak so the share price is really down a pound, about 6% on the open.
There is such a price difference between buying and selling? Puts punters off completely. If I had not sold I would be about 23% down now.
|I too have sold, although just before the trading update was hardly the best timing! Nevertheless, it fitted my current strategy of shifting to investment trusts with non-UK focus. I'm not at all optimistic about the future prosperity of the UK and I expect the stock market to reflect this, once the initial boost of currency devaluation has faded and the economic realities hit home. Watching with interest tomorrow...|
Sold out today as tax liability was going to be very unpleasant.
Retain stock in my Isa.
Price started to decline late pm.
We will see what happens.x div tomorrow.
|£3 ps dividend! I have only just clocked this. What are these companies doing?
Under the old system I used not to pay any tax on dividends but now it is just going up and up. They are not the only company doing this in this tax year.|
Many thanks for response,great to have another mindset on a common problem.
I have e-mailed the co., voicing my views and await a reply. I wouldn't hold your breath,this is something that you raise at an AGM.
Personally I don't think this has been properly thought through,and the money should have been retained for future deals,
The price will drop by £3 on ex-div day, give or take a few pence. This usually sparks a howl of protest from the few small investors who don't see that shares in a company that has given away £3 per share in cash are worth £3 less because the company has given them some of their money back.
As you say, if you don't want the dividend now you could sell cum-div and buy a bigger holding ex-div - essentially swapping this dividend for increased future dividends. Or just sell and buy something else. Like you, I'm going wait and think for a bit...
Sir H can afford good tax advice, I'm sure.|
|What I meant, Retsius, was that if you risk going over your CGT allowance, selling ARBB ex div will give you the chance of crystallising a loss to set against gains elsewhere, depending on what you originally paid for ARBB.
I agree that unexpected dividends do complicate things. I bought high yield shares ex/ISA just 2 days ago and now find that capital gain is more tax efficient.|
|Incidentally British Bulls gave a buy on the stock last night.
Nothing to bet your house on but positive nontheless from computer analysis|
Thanks for input.Already accounted for £5k div.,so this has come as a shock as I will be subject to 32.5% tax on my new div. from ARBB.Assuming it drops by £3 xdiv,I will in effect lose 32.5% of my capital of the div. amount.Not what I want.
I don't understand what you mean about capital losses?
Wife gifting is an option but will only mitigate tax by a small amount and I don't know if I want to do that anyway.
What we need now is a steady rise and some positive press comments,esp. ST before it goes x div.
|You have £5000 dividend tax allowance this year. I have just been rejigging our portfolios to make sure my wife and I take full advantage of this. This dividend will bring me up to the full allowance on my non-ISA account. The share price will drop significantly ex-dividend of course, but at least the capital loss can be used to offset gains this year or next.|
|Good statement stating steady progress.Seems a whopping great bonus is coming our way.Unfortunately this will be subject to higher U.K. Tax as my holding is not in an ISA for which I have slightly mixed emotions. What happened to their 13p 25p offerings over the past 6 months? This divvy blows them out of the water.I think I would have preferred them to retain the bulk of the divvy monies generous as as it is for future developments.Does that sound totally ungrateful?
Any views guys?
I certainly think the punter who forked out £750k yesterday had some wind of the announcement?!(Unless it was a rogue trade)
I think the market will like the statement;what's not to like?|
|The significant transactions carried out by ABG in the first half of the year which resulted in a first half profit of over £225m have now been included in the capital base of the Group. As a result of this, the Board are proposing to pay a further special dividend of £3 per share, which equates to approximately £45 million. This will be paid on 18 November 2016 to shareholders on the register on 21 October 2016.|
|STB floated successfully on the main index, and also released a trading update which was positive.
Hoping for more of the same tomorrow.
|has to break out at some point lol|
|huge buy order for 50k shares at 12.03 today.
Someone has confidence in the bank!
Trading update tomorrow.
|Next week ..update on trading,plus the float of STB on the MAIN market.
Should be interesting.
I don't know about that strategy. I think they will see how successful the main listing of STB will be,and monitor the performance. Why sell a business which is about to expand rapidly. No I believe to sell their existing substantial stake would be premature and quite frankly silly ,after their recent placing.They are prevented from selling any more shares in STB for 180 days.
The switch,after watching the share price of STB rising over the past weeks,would appear to be attractive to the market and as such should bolster ARBB's investment substantially.
|Presumably ARBB will look to sell their remaining stake later this year as Sir Henry has dropped down to non-exec. Really has been an excellent investment.|
Many thanks for your prompt response.
Of course I knew that,and was not specific enough with my comment on full listing.
|STB is already listed ! - its just moving from Aim to Full List|