ADVFN Logo ADVFN

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for charts Register for streaming realtime charts, analysis tools, and prices.

LGEN Legal & General Group Plc

1.60 (0.69%)
26 Apr 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Legal & General Group Plc LSE:LGEN London Ordinary Share GB0005603997 ORD 2 1/2P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  1.60 0.69% 234.40 234.30 234.50 236.30 234.20 235.30 18,785,779 16:29:59
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Ins Agents,brokers & Service 36.48B 457M 0.0764 30.68 14.02B
Legal & General Group Plc is listed in the Ins Agents,brokers & Service sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker LGEN. The last closing price for Legal & General was 232.80p. Over the last year, Legal & General shares have traded in a share price range of 203.20p to 258.70p.

Legal & General currently has 5,979,665,207 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Legal & General is £14.02 billion. Legal & General has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of 30.68.

Legal & General Share Discussion Threads

Showing 21326 to 21348 of 21350 messages
Chat Pages: 854  853  852  851  850  849  848  847  846  845  844  843  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
26/4/2024
21:31
Thank you pogue. Appreciated
cwa1
26/4/2024
21:28
Woodhawk like you, I am an investor and not a trader and as even nobel winning economists have found out to their cost, (can't immediately recall the hedge fund) any strategy that appears to beat the market, only works until it doesn't, so those short term strategies of buying and selling for example a share that appears to be range bound or timing sales and buys before and after dividends or any trend of buying dotcom shares because they can only go higher (like any ponzi scheme) will eventually fail unless you have the ability to always buy low and sell high. A skill that is claimed by many but stats show not many of them end up as wealthy as Warren Buffet.

For the few who consistently over decades have the skill to keep timing the market good luck to you as we all wish we could do that. But unfortunately that is not a skill I have.

ps cwa1 it is the weekend and I am just catching up on the days posts and I won't repeatedly post on the subject so hopefully a bit of leeway.

pj84
26/4/2024
21:23
CWA1
I was aiming to stop the pointless discussion however I take onboard your comments and will refrain.

pogue
26/4/2024
20:24
pogue

Comments such as yours are precisely what I was referring to in my no personal comments post above. Please, play the ball, not the man.

Consider this to be a final warning.

Please, everyone, settle down and respect the ethos of this thread.

Thanks

cwa1
26/4/2024
19:19
Is old Woody still a very angry individual? I've had him on filter for ever and a day due to him redlining his blood pressure whenever he read one of my posts. I guess one day soon he'll drop a valve, go pop and that will be that. Shame. spud
spud
26/4/2024
17:26
Interesting article - NB number 2 in the chart (plus multiple LGEN funds).
woodhawk
26/4/2024
17:16
CWA1: Well said...

We're just about to go for meal out....
so I'll be off air for a while any way...

netcurtains
26/4/2024
17:14
Woody:

With the best will in the world....

A long term graph is an even bigger gamble than
a short run graph....

As Maynard Keynes famously said, is the long run
we will all be dead and that includes 99% of most
companies..

I fail to see how you think holding something for
years is less of a risk then holding something for
a few months...

But each to their own... I guess I have too blinkered
vision to see what you're driving at and you
probably do not have the best teaching skills (no offence)...

netcurtains
26/4/2024
17:13
Hi All

Been out all day and just back in, there seems to be a little tension in the air for some reason...and I have no plans on going back over all the posts to see why!!

Just before it spills over-let's keep personalities out of it please and keep it on-topic(with a LITTLE latitude over non-working hours).

As for dividends...do what works for you and you're happy with. So let's live and let live, eh? Nobody needs to be "right" about this!

It's nearly time for the wine to get uncorked, so have a great weekend one and all

Cheers

cwa1
26/4/2024
17:13
Woody, gen mate. Calm down or you will have a stroke, an unwelcome one.Behave, pin back your ears and let's see if we can unteach you your reckless gambling. You should note the warnings placed on broker sites, value may not be what you invested; that says it could go either way, like a bet could.You are gambling, and getting too silly about it to listen to us trying to help you.
rongetsrich
26/4/2024
17:00
What on earth are you on about?

"the likely odds of the share price staying reasonable after paying the dividend"

I have no interest in that (other than it might be a buying opportunity for a better yield). How would I know what a bunch of fickle gamblers may or may not do at any one time?

You just don't get it, do you? You must have the timeframe of a gnat!

I am an investor - I'm not in it for a week, a month or a year. Barring any significant change in circumstances I will probably hold my shares for multi-years, I might never sell them. I'll expect to derive growing income from them year after year, profiting from progressively increasing divis AND compounding.

I don't have to gamble on price rises, or falls.

woodhawk
26/4/2024
16:51
Woody: I think we must be at cross purposes...

I cant believe you blindly invest for dividends without
first estimating the likely odds of a company paying out
those dividends
and/or
the likely odds of the share price
staying reasonable after paying the dividend
(for example a special one off big dividend)..

I mean estimating the odds is rational..
Ignoring odds is not rational..

netcurtains
26/4/2024
16:47
Woodhawk 26 Apr '24 - 11:55 - 5391 of 5401

netcutains,

"In currently in Avignon".

And your point is? BTW there are over 400,000 people in Avignon at the moment

400,001? ;-)

pvb
26/4/2024
16:43
woodhawk
Get back to bed and try getting out the right side on Monday morning

The question was not addressed to you

Have a good weekend

jubberjim
26/4/2024
16:34
The odds on my getting the dividends I expect are much better than the odds on a pair of random trades.

Furthermore, the amounts I am prepared to invest are much larger than amounts I would be prepared to gamble.

I've done plenty of gambling (on the market), but over time I have learned (the hard way) that investing and compounding dividends is a much more reliable route to significant and lasting wealth (with as little effort as possible).

woodhawk
26/4/2024
16:31
Woody: I did say I was lucky....
I still believe the ODDs are as (or more) important
than the INTEREST or DIVIDEND.
That is why so many people gamble on the premium bonds
the ODDS equate (within reason) to the
INTEREST or DIVIDEND..

Old wives tale "he who ignores the odds when
investing is likely to lose the lot"...

😀

netcurtains
26/4/2024
16:07
I'm not gambling, I'm investing. In return for my investment I receive dividends. I'm hardly surprised that you can't understand the difference. Full stop.
woodhawk
26/4/2024
16:01
It's no more a gamble than buying a stock and hoping it's value goes up. Nothing more, woody fails to realise shares are a gamble, full stop.
rongetsrich
26/4/2024
15:31
apologies woody:

I'm saying I no longer need to work for a living.
I wasn't trying to be clever or anything.....

just the luck of the draw....

netcurtains
26/4/2024
15:14
Doesn't look like we're going to get the same reaction as M&G and PHNX post ex div Still early days
panshanger1
26/4/2024
15:03
"The gain is a few p net of the dividend."

Only if you call it right, both selling and repurchasing (plus stamp duty) - and all very well in retrospect. It's a pure gamble.

woodhawk
26/4/2024
13:56
Ron, I understand the point, mine being as I don’t know what the gain is going to be over the process therefore I would rather just take the divi and continue to hold.
The gain is a few p net of the dividend.

tag57
26/4/2024
13:10
I don't think Tag understands the bit about selling before the divi? Not sure Wher 2-3 pence came from when the figure was actually 16 on yesterday alone.Dull time ahead now until mid summer when divi hunters start buying around the 8 weeks to go point.We'll have a much clearer idea if this mute board's strategy by then.
rongetsrich
Chat Pages: 854  853  852  851  850  849  848  847  846  845  844  843  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock