Professor Glen Arnold

FlightSafety International - its creation

25 Nov 2020 @ 12:35
Today I’ll continue the story of how a strong economic franchise business was created from virtually nothing.  It became so strong that Warren Buffett paid $1.5bn for it (I’ll describe the making of that deal in tomorrow’s newsletter) In the late 1940s a number of companies bought corporate airplanes to provide greater flexibility and save […]
 

Warren Buffett's investment in a strong franchise business - FlightSafety International

23 Nov 2020 @ 15:59
The story I’m going to tell over the next few days shows how a talented manager can create a business with a deep and dangerous moat given enough time and dedication, even in an industry dependent on the notorious unprofitable airlines.  There are many lessons for today’s value investors. Al Ueltschi fell out of an […]
 

Capital and Counties Properties – The business model and the directors

13 Nov 2020 @ 15:29
The business model of Capital and Counties Properties, Capco (LSE:CAPC) used to be much more adventurous, with stakes in various projects around London. Now it has a 50% share in a relatively small development, Lillie Square, which is getting smaller as apartments are sold. This only accounts for 6% of its assets, leaving 94% of […]
 

Capital and Counties properties – can it weather the financial storm?

11 Nov 2020 @ 16:04
Capital and Counties, Capco (LSE:CAPC), owner of Covent Garden, is selling at less than net current asset value, and therefore appears to be a bargain.  However, Mr Market marked it down because he fears that so much rental income will be lost due to Covid-19 and property investors will demand higher yields that property values […]
 

I've bought a stake in Covent Garden

10 Nov 2020 @ 16:15
Last week I paid 103.3p for shares in the owner of 81 buildings in and around Covent Garden, Capital and Counties Properties, or Capco, (LSE:CAPC). The latest set of accounts, for the half year to end June, declare a Net Asset Value per share of 241p – and that is after knocking 17% off the […]
 

Capital and Counties Properties - a closer look at its assets

10 Nov 2020 @ 16:11
Well over ninety percent of Capital and Counties Properties, Capco’s (LSE:CAPC) property is in or around Covent Garden. Only £178m is outside of it, so, for all intents and purposes, we need to focus on Covent Garden. (Market capitalisation when I bought on Friday was 855m shares x 103p = £881m. The vaccine has lifted […]
 

After Warren Buffett bought R. C. Willey - tight rein on capital, loose on operations

02 Nov 2020 @ 12:18
In terms of managerial decisions nothing really changed when Berkshire Hathaway bought R. C. Willey in 1995. The one exception was that Buffett held a veto over investments in new stores. Bill Child, CEO, told Utah Business that Warren Buffett was a wonderful partner “rather than tell us how to run our business, he gives us a […]
 

Warren Buffett's deal to buy R. C. Willey

23 Oct 2020 @ 11:42
At the start of 1995 an investment bank approached Bill Child with an offer to buy R. C. Willey Home Furnishings. The headline figure mentioned was $200m. This followed separate approaches by two publicly traded retailers. These were totally unsolicited. After looking around stores of the two retailers and being unimpressed by the way the […]
 

R. C. Willey - the principles that built the business and attracted Warren Buffett

22 Oct 2020 @ 10:04
Bill Child took a 600 sq ft store with annual revenue of $250,000 to a dominant position in Utah furniture retailing with $256m turnover. For him to succeed he had to follow sound principles to gain the trust of customers and the admiration and loyalty of employees. These are useful pointers for investors: if you […]
 

Building a business that Warren Buffett would buy - R. C. Willey's expansion years

20 Oct 2020 @ 10:38
Bill Child looked for way to build profits of the 600 sq ft electrical store off a side road near Syracuse, Utah, that he had accidentally taken leadership of in 1954. In 1956 he hit on the idea of selling furniture – items, thankfully, without the burden of moving parts or onerous warrantees. At first, […]
 
  • Jump to a different page:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • ...
  • 80
 
Do you want to write for our Newspaper? Get in touch: newspaper@advfn.com

By accessing the services available at ADVFN you are agreeing to be bound by ADVFN's Terms & Conditions

P: V: D:20201126 02:05:27