Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Burford Capital Limited LSE:BUR London Ordinary Share GG00B4L84979 ORD NPV
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  -22.50p -2.85% 767.50p 764.00p 766.00p 790.00p 750.00p 790.00p 451,877 12:26:45
Industry Sector Turnover (m) Profit (m) EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap (m)
Equity Investment Instruments 314.6 239.3 82.9 9.2 1,678

Burford Capital Share Discussion Threads

Showing 6676 to 6698 of 15000 messages
Chat Pages: Latest  276  275  274  273  272  271  270  269  268  267  266  265  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
30/5/2019
07:07
Mad Yes, looks very good. That’s the way to make money.
brexitplus
30/5/2019
07:04
Nice RNS explaining Tienver and accounting process
mad foetus
28/5/2019
15:19
Haven't bothered looking here whilst it takes it's course ,but 2 weeks was enough. Nice to see it coming back, I hope in July it surges and holds on results.
qruz
28/5/2019
12:23
Thanks, here's the link: https://www.sharecast.com/news/broker-recommendations/jefferies-reiterates-buy-on-burford-capital-says-value-of-petersen-recoveries-underestimated--4700209.html Sorry ... paths crossed!
jonwig
28/5/2019
12:18
Very good broker note from Jefferies. JEFFERIES REITERATES 'BUY' ON BURFORD CAPITAL, SAYS VALUE OF PETERSEN RECOVERIES UNDERESTIMATED Analysts at Jefferies reiterated their 'buy' recommendation for shares of Burford Capital, pointing out to clients that the company's share of the legal recoveries from the Petersen investment might reach $2.5bn, which would equate to 55% of the company's market capitalisation. In their opinion, the market was underestimating that value "although it is both an overhang and a potential positive catalyst for the shares." The Petersen case involved two Spanish firms - together known as Petersen - which were pushed into bankruptcy by the Argentine government's decision to expropriate oil outfit YPF in 2012. Those two companies sued the Argentine government in the States, alleging that the expropriation should have been carried out through a tender offer and at price set out in YPF's bylaws, and were now waiting for America's Supreme Court to decide whether or not it would hear an appeal on what the correct jurisdiction for the case was, the US or Argentina. On the other hand, the asset was also a possible source of capital at a premium to its carrying value on the balance sheet. Jefferies bumped up its target price for the shares from 2,253p to 2,364p, but only on account for changes in its foreign exchange rate assumptions. The next step in the jurisdiction would likely take place in the summer or autumn, Jefferies said, with the broker also estimating that the case could be heard in 2020.
brexitplus
28/5/2019
10:12
Looks like the Cannacord accounting issue is wearing off so looking to get above the trend lines at 1700.
sogoesit
28/5/2019
06:48
Has there a recent US SC decision on whether a U.S. court has a jurisdiction on Petersen already?? I am doubtful that even once such decision is rendered, it would push Petersen valuation up.
biggreenoak
28/5/2019
06:30
Down to the recent Supreme Court decision, it is edging forward.
lomax99
28/5/2019
05:41
Lomax99, what do you think will warrant a higher valuation of Petersen today vs. the last sale?
biggreenoak
27/5/2019
13:22
I guess at time for a little consolidation, maybe a test of support approx. 1600? Unconfirmed tp on the bowl approx. 1755, confirmed with eod close above 1648 Potential turn 28/5/2019
bamboo2
26/5/2019
16:18
Great, thanks. An RNS relating to another partial sale, at a much higher assumed value, before the July results would be welcome!
lomax99
26/5/2019
16:01
Not quite, this is what they said in June 2017: "Burford has agreed that it will not engage in further sales of its interest in the Petersen claims at an implied value of less than $600 million and that Burford will not reduce its holding below 65% until after 31 December 2018 and will permanently hold at least 50.1% of the economic entitlement in the Petersen claims" Https://www.investegate.co.uk/burford-capital--bur-/rns/further-petersen-secondary-market-transaction/201706130700058748H/
bestace
26/5/2019
15:43
Good find bestace.Did BUR agree not to sell any more of their interest in the Petersen claim?
lomax99
26/5/2019
15:20
Also this article in La Nación: Https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economia/sospechas-reproches-giro-inesperado-tres-causas-millonarias-nid2250559 which includes this intriguing snippet: "In recent months there have been informal contacts between at least two [Argentine] government officials who passed through Washington and people who attributed a proximity to Burford and suggested that the fund was willing to open a negotiation"
bestace
23/5/2019
20:40
Jonwig, there is next to zero chance the governing law is the law of Argentina. It is 98% chance NY law and 2% chance that it is the law of England.
biggreenoak
23/5/2019
20:10
I've been looking at some of the Argentine press coverage of the Supreme Court news and this article from Clarín is interesting as it talks about Argentina's 'plan B', which essentially involves filing a lawsuit in Spain against Burford and Petersen, to challenge the validity of the process through which Burford acquired Petersen's interest in the YPF litigation. Https://www.clarin.com/economia/reves-argentina-gobierno-donald-trump-recomendo-juicio-ypf-siga-unidos_0_BkMDhXjhZ.html Some selected excerpts (via Google translate): "The Government and YPF are already working on an alternative solution, whose main axis is in Spain... In the Iberian courts, there is already an Argentine lawsuit against Petersen Energía and Burford (it is called Prospect Investment). In Spain, they will try to challenge the transfer of Petersen's litigious rights to the Burford fund. YPF claims the "nullity" of the transfer of indemnification rights. "We are going to prove that there is lack of standing (which is the ability of a party to be able to demonstrate its right to sue before a court), that is to say that Burford is trying to act on behalf of Petersen in an irregular manoeuvre", assures the Argentine defense." YPF's Q1 results issued earlier this month also mention the Spanish litigation against Burford and Petersen: Https://www.ypf.com/inversoresaccionistas/Lists/InformacionFinanciera/EE.FF-Consolidado-31-03-2019.pdf "On February 28, 2019, the Company filed a complaint in Spain against Petersen and Prospect Investments LLC ("Burford") seeking the definition of the legal nature of the agreement that was subscribed by Burford and Petersen's Trustee in Bankruptcy."
bestace
23/5/2019
10:27
Largest sell worth £1.93m at 1625p, not huge on a £3.56bn mkt cap?
lomax99
23/5/2019
10:02
Huge sell at 9.30 @ 1645p
terry barnett
22/5/2019
13:43
BUR goes XD tomorrow.
lomax99
22/5/2019
10:58
Certainly having a think about it
5chipper
22/5/2019
09:20
moving up through 1600....
global nomad
22/5/2019
08:43
Target and historical resistance hit. Took profit. gla
bamboo2
22/5/2019
07:02
biggreenoak - the bond you're referring to will be the 100-year maturity issued in 2017 and hugely oversubscribed. That it was USD-denominated is probably a key factor. I can't find any reference to governing law for this issue, but the Elliott holdout actions were largely based on this question. This is the nearest I can get: Because Argentina had been historically so unstable, it would have been difficult for it to solicit investors to buy bonds in Buenos Aires under Argentine jurisdiction, as few external investors trusted Argentina courts to enforce bonds against their own government. This consideration led Argentina to transfer the issue of bonds to New York, under United States law, on April 20, 1976, as were most subsequent bond issues.[53] The bonds were therefore issued under a special kind of bond contract, a "Fiscal Agency Agreement" that was drafted by Argentina's U.S. attorneys under the law of the state of New York. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_debt_restructuring Regarding the October elections, the Peronists now seem to be ahead in polls, and the surprising development is that their presidential candidate is Alberto Fernández (no relation) who has been publicly critical of Cristina (the vice-p candidate). A smart move.
jonwig
Chat Pages: Latest  276  275  274  273  272  271  270  269  268  267  266  265  Older
Your Recent History
LSE
BUR
Burford Ca..
Register now to watch these stocks streaming on the ADVFN Monitor.

Monitor lets you view up to 110 of your favourite stocks at once and is completely free to use.

By accessing the services available at ADVFN you are agreeing to be bound by ADVFN's Terms & Conditions

P: V: D:20191015 11:43:31