ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for default Register for Free to get streaming real-time quotes, interactive charts, live options flow, and more.

BOL Bolton Grp(Int)

0.00 (0.00%)
Last Updated: 00:00:00
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Bolton Grp(Int) LSE:BOL London Ordinary Share BMG1218K1045 COM SHS 1P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 1.50 - 0.00 00:00:00
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
0 0 N/A 0

Bolton Group Share Discussion Threads

Showing 51 to 72 of 75 messages
Chat Pages: 3  2  1
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
17/10/2007
20:47
Bolton have parted company with manager Sammy Lee
pillion
17/10/2007
20:17
Bruce's dad ?
woodrow wilson
17/10/2007
18:29
is the rise due to sammy lee going?
nakedshorter
18/8/2007
21:31
Noted.

I may be a bit late though.

woodrow wilson
15/3/2007
01:23
main markets drop and BOL sparks into life.....MM's trying to play games.....with no trades listed......mmmm.......
bots24
14/3/2007
09:03
ello, ello, ello.....wakey wakey!
hupgomwat
05/12/2006
07:17
may be a boom in christmas crakers this year
vision88
04/12/2006
09:08
With Christmas around the corner, I always get excited. Why? Because it's money-making time in the stock markets! It's the time of the year when I can go out and buy presents for friends and family knowing that the markets will pay for everything. I pretty much do the same thing year in year out: buy shares in mid December, and flog them at a profit before January is out.

Why? Because even though it's cold outside most years, the December and January markets are hot!

The statistics support my argument: the strongest week of the year for the market is the 51st week. And the second strongest? The 52nd week! The third strongest day of the year also falls in December: the 16th, the fourth strongest: December 28th and the fifth: December 23rd.The probability of positive returns in December is a high 69% and the market's only had one significant fall in December since 1981. Both mid and large cap stocks perform equally well.

Why are the markets so good at this time of year? I suspect it is down to something as simple as human psychology: the feel good factor as Christmas approaches and the hopes and dreams that comes with the New Year. However, by the end of January we tend to be left with a bit of a hangover and that's why February isn't such a good month. The markets also often fall in October and November as investors begin to come in and buy what they perceive as bargains.

So where do I put my money to make the most of the benign conditions? First of all, and I do this every year: I buy the FTSE 100 around December 18th and I sell in early January to take advantage. I usually just make a simple FTSE 100 spreadbet long, with a stop loss in place in case it's the one occasional year when the festive uplift doesn't happen.

For example: last year I bought the FTSE at 5495 on December 15th and sold on January 12th at 5735 for an excellent profit of 240 points. I'd placed a £10 a point stake which resulted in a nice profit of £2,400.

I also like buying retail stocks in December. These stocks often rise quite a while before (and just after) Christmas in anticipation of high consumer spending. I'm normally out by early January as retailers usually report their Christmas figures in mid January and sometimes the reality isn't so good. Alternatively, the stocks could already have risen in anticipation of good figures so they begin to fall back on profit-taking.

I also find that December is a good time to have a look at some of the smaller "tiddler" stocks in the market and have a bit of a gamble.

On the downside, one thing to watch out for is companies sneaking out bad news between Christmas and New Year - it's the same as political parties hiding bad news on a big news story day. With so many people away, the companies hope the bad news will go unnoticed so it's worth keeping an eye on news related to your stocks. I tend to get out quick if any kind of bad news is released during the festive period.

The period between Christmas and New Year often sees stocks squeezing higher on thin volumes and this year I intend to be at my screen hoping to make some good gains in just a few days. The market is only open for three days during the main festive period this year: December 27th, 28th and 29th. Even though I might well be tucking into mince pies I'm still going to be at my trading desk looking out for opportunities to make some money!

Last year many stocks raced higher during the holiday period as often there is simply no-one selling and the institutions are shut. This often has a good effect on stocks at the smaller end of the market.

Of course I am making it all sound too easy... this could be the year that it doesn't work out - events could get in my way. But the use of tight stop losses should ensure that if 2006 does not prove to be a bumper Christmas then I won't lose too much after all.

I should also point out that markets often don't do what you expect - so what I write here should really come with a warning. I certainly would not buy before Christmas, go away and come back in January.

My eyes will continue to monitor the market throughout the festive season. But unless unforeseen political or economic events cause the markets to go through an unseasonable lull, I expect to be buying heavily this Christmas season and hoping the markets will once again pay off that whopping credit card bill, which as usual will land on my doormat in February!

ponderer
01/12/2006
19:22
best avoided.

twisted mgmt/contolling shareholders and mired in litigation.

complete and massive re-structuring most likely that will biblically dilute anyone foolish enough to waste money.

ct98
01/12/2006
19:13
no trades and down 70% how come.
william-just
01/12/2006
12:04
Paul Jewell's Blue and White Army- We Hate Bolton!

wiganer
28/2/2006
11:16
whatis this company apart from a shell, well almost.
powwow
23/11/2005
12:33
why the big fall
1freddie
09/5/2005
12:33
waldorf
can you say what is going on ?

lburby
29/4/2005
19:45
waldorf
glad to see you are back on the bip board.
What has happened to bol ?
is goletka going to screw us ?
we would be pleased if you could tell us what's going on.

lburby
21/4/2005
16:08
waldorf
what is going on ?

lburby
31/3/2005
16:11
can any one give an update as to what the f--- is going on with this co.
tobysam
28/3/2005
14:20
waldorf
not a purchaser ?

lburby
18/3/2005
18:08
A very happy holder here!
waldof
16/3/2005
16:50
waldof

do you know if bol is going to be a 'shell'?
if so,what sector ?

lburby
16/2/2005
10:55
what we need is a third party to make a takeover bid.
cg1953
10/2/2005
08:03
Goletka has now postponed the AGM from Monday 14 and now proposes to hold it on April 20th in New York!!
Gives you some idea what the robbing bastar* is like.
Fear not an SGM will be held and the NYC thing will not work PROVIDING you make sure your proxy is in with Capita Registrars...and that you vote again st all proposals.
This share has asset value of 8 - 9p at the very least.

waldof
Chat Pages: 3  2  1

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock