ADVFN Logo ADVFN

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for discussion Register to chat with like-minded investors on our interactive forums.

ASL Aberforth Smaller Companies Trust Plc

26.00 (1.90%)
23 Apr 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Aberforth Smaller Companies Trust Plc LSE:ASL London Ordinary Share GB0000066554 ORD 1P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  26.00 1.90% 1,396.00 1,392.00 1,394.00 1,394.00 1,362.00 1,362.00 105,924 16:35:29
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Mgmt Invt Offices, Open-end 114.95M 103.34M 1.2246 11.38 1.18B
Aberforth Smaller Companies Trust Plc is listed in the Mgmt Invt Offices, Open-end sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker ASL. The last closing price for Aberforth Smaller Compan... was 1,370p. Over the last year, Aberforth Smaller Compan... shares have traded in a share price range of 1,126.00p to 1,394.00p.

Aberforth Smaller Compan... currently has 84,384,605 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Aberforth Smaller Compan... is £1.18 billion. Aberforth Smaller Compan... has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of 11.38.

Aberforth Smaller Compan... Share Discussion Threads

Showing 51 to 73 of 75 messages
Chat Pages: 3  2  1
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
20/2/2024
09:02
James Carthew: Sit on Aberforth’s income until the UK rerating arrives -

Annual results from Aberforth Smaller Companies underline anomaly of £1bn trust’s 12% discount with its holdings valued at under eight times earnings and paying good dividends...

speedsgh
08/2/2024
11:43
Updated top 10Wincanton Wilmington VesuviusMorgan Advanced MaterialsRedde Northgate FirstGroup International Personal Finance Just Group Mitchells & ButlersCentamin
the deacon
08/2/2024
11:41
Monthly investment commentary: JanuaryThe UK stock market fell in January and trailed the gains made by other major international indices.  The disinflationtrend continues, but CPI releasesin the month were not as low as hoped.  As a result, expectations for the first roundof rate cuts from the Federal Reserve and Bank of England have been pushed further into the future.  Within the UK,large caps performed slightly better than small caps and the growth style out?stripped value.  The Fund was down by2.0%, in?line with the 2.0% decline of the benchmark DNSCI (XIC) and behind the FTSE All?Share's 1.3% fall.The leading positive contributor to performance was Wincanton, the logistics provider.    It was subject to arecommended cash offer from a subsidiary of CMA CGM, the French shipping and logistics operator.  CMC Markets,the financial derivatives dealer, performed strongly following the announcement of improved quarterly trading, ledby an increased contribution from its B2B and institutional business.  Foxtons Group, the estate agent, was anothergood performer as it issued a positive trading update, which indicated 2023's earnings would come in ahead of priorexpectations.Losers in the month included Close Brothers, the banking and asset management business.  The share price fell afterthe Financial Ombudsman decided against motor finance companies, which prompted a review by the FCA.Compensation or redress could affect the bank's earnings and capital base.  Shares in Reach, the publisher, fell butthere was no company specific newsin the month.  In the background, concernsremain about a sustained slowdownin advertising spending, while changes to Google's approach to third party cookies complicate how advertisersreached their intended audience.
the deacon
16/1/2024
17:18
Peel Hunt- Similarly, ASL's price to earnings of 6.9 times is a near record low, reflecting its focus on the smaller company end of the UK, where the discount to global markets is particularly stark. Peel Hunt emphasised the portfolio has strong balance sheets, with under 20% holding net debt twice as high as pre-tax profits.The £1.3bn trust benefited from increased M&A in 2023, driving shareholder returns of 6%, ahead of its benchmark's 4%. While the shares trade at an 11% discount, Peel Hunt does not expect it to persist as international and domestic buyers realise the returns on offer at the small-cap end of the UK market.
davebowler
12/1/2024
15:33
Tip Watch #2: Keep faith in my 2023 investment trust tips - they WILL come good

So says This is Money’s Jeff Prestridge. The commentator opens his above-titled article by highlighting how in 2023 “…equity investing…proved very much hit and miss…” Why? Because of “…a mish mash of factors – from uncertainty over the global economy to continued geopolitical tensions and a toxic mix of persistent inflation and high interest rates.” What’s more “The performance of investment trusts reflects this uncertain backdrop…of the 380 stock market-listed funds covered by the industry's trade body, the Association of Investment Companies, only 210 (55 per cent) have generated positive returns during 2023 – returns including both dividends and capital gains, but excluding investor costs. Factor those in and the number of positive returners reduces further…Of course, when five-year performance numbers are looked at, the picture changes. Far more funds (three quarters of them) have delivered positive returns.”

As for Prestridge’s 2023 tips: “This time last year, I assembled an investment trust portfolio that I thought could deliver spectacular returns. Not necessarily straightaway, but certainly over three to five years. The portfolio comprised ten trusts…investing in different parts of the world, some for growth, others for a mix of capital and income return…What linked these ten trusts a year ago was the fact that their share prices did not reflect the value of their underlying assets. They were sitting at big double-digit price discounts…My thesis was that these bargain prices would not last forever –resulting at some stage in a performance boost. I thought that maybe the discount propellant might kick in this year.” The ten trusts are listed below:

abrdn New India; Augmentum Fintech; Herald; Seraphim Space; Aberforth Smaller Cos.; Brunner; Invesco Asia; Schroder UK Mid Cap; Templeton Emerging Markets; and VinaCapital Vietnam Opportunity

The article continues: “So what's happened to these trusts over the year? Have they delivered the stellar returns I thought they were capable of? The answer is no. I know this because I invested £100 in each of these ten trusts at the start of the year via my stocks and shares Isa. Looking at my Isa yesterday, the collective value of these holdings was £845.32. Add in the dividend income I have received of £15.09, and my £1,000 investment is now worth £860.41. In percentage terms, that is a significant fall of 14 per cent.” Despite the disappointing performance, Prestridge is sticking to his guns: “…I still believe that this portfolio will prove itself in time. Tellingly…nine of these trusts still have share prices at a big discount to the value of their underlying assets. These discounts will disappear if market sentiment improves. Maybe that will happen next year, maybe not. But I will hold these ten trusts until they sparkle.”

davebowler
21/12/2023
09:39
An improvement indeed Dave!
boozey
21/12/2023
09:31
The Net Asset Values ("NAVs") per Ordinary Share for the above company as at the
close of business on 19 December 2023 were:-

Excluding current year Revenue = 1,457.80p

Including ALL Revenue = 1,504.45p

davebowler
17/11/2023
07:25
IC...This trust, which has assets worth over £1bn, invests in UK smaller companies and was trading at a 12.7 per cent discount to NAV as of 31 October. But my feeling is that UK equities trusts in general, especially small and mid-cap focused ones, look quite attractive. The valuations of Aberforth Smaller Companies’ holdings in particular look reasonable, as well as the trust being on a discount to NAV.

The underlying portfolio has a price/earnings ratio (PE) of about 7 times [in late October] and from that valuation the prospects for absolute gains are good. About half of its stocks have net cash on the balance sheet so they are not highly leveraged ‘zombie’ companies. Even if earnings don’t come through, the portfolio is still very inexpensively valued. And its managers have noticed a pick up in mergers and acquisitions – overseas investors buying UK smaller companies.

I hope that the Aberforth trust will outperform the FTSE All-Share index over the next three years, but in any case buying at about £11.44 [the price at the time of writing] will make you money eventually – if you are patient. The trust is more likely to go down than up in the next three months, and its managers take a value oriented approach so returns will either be at the top or bottom of its sector. Over the past decade this investment style has not done well but is a bit of a tailwind at the moment. And as interest rates peak out and inflation comes down, purchasing a well run portfolio should pay off even if we go into recession.

davebowler
29/9/2023
09:05
27 Sep NAV Including ALL Revenue = 1,417.00p
davebowler
27/1/2023
18:42
A 34% increase in a well covered dividend. Nice!
topvest
12/10/2022
21:17
Held up well, presumably all thanks to an overweight RPS position. Imo they need to cash in and start deploying the proceeds now.
my retirement fund
09/2/2022
20:59
This is one of my favourite trusts.
topvest
02/10/2021
13:43
NAV up 33.5% in 9 months to 30th September from 1292.38p to 1725.71p.

At 1502p discount to nav is 13%

2wild
12/8/2021
12:51
Their investment approach is very sound. They focus on many companies that I wouldn’t necessarily buy in my portfolio so it’s a good strategy for me. Good for targeted return of 10%+ per annum in my view.
topvest
11/8/2021
12:31
NAV up 37.9% from 1292.38p to 1782.5p so far in 2021.

Paid 1605.6p this morning a 9.9% discount to nav

2wild
07/6/2021
12:44
New all time high Well done to those who held on GLA
panshanger1
23/4/2021
05:42
Hi, I am new here. I am a seasoned private investor 20 years in the making and have held these shares for a decade, only selling up once to buy help with a home move. Stable mates are one Tech Trust and one world equities trust and thats it! This trust has, I believe, good management and have reliably made me money in that time.
I sold my business in late 2019 and dripped sizeable amounts for six months testing Pound cost averaging to death ( covid) Like many stocks this did take an unnerving dive, and it seemed some of their holdings did look questionable and I did question my sanity on occasion but, the dividend policy continued through having plenty on cash reserves and I through gritted teeth continued with faith. One thing I didn’t realise was how UK stock were out of favour but, alas, this situation is reversing to our benefit!

dodgedollar
29/3/2021
08:23
New 52 week high and getting close to NAV
panshanger1
09/3/2021
12:53
New 52 week high Value to the fore !!
panshanger1
24/2/2021
19:11
Tend to agree. Boring but good old fashioned value stock picking. Discount still around long term average of 9%. Scope for that to narrow.
brucek1812
24/2/2021
16:40
All quiet here Nice move up today and close to pre COVID high One for the value hounds as performance has been poor over longer time frames May come into its own now ??
panshanger1
05/12/2020
09:50
Hi all, any idea why ASL has outperformed ASIT over the last month (40% vs 23%). Considering the increased gearing of ASIT i fund this surprising.
Thanks

skwas1
12/11/2020
12:10
Nice run this week and the switch into value carries on !!This could have quit a lot further to go.Satisfactory outcome to eu negotiations would give it a further boost IMOGLA
panshanger1
Chat Pages: 3  2  1

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock