ADVFN Logo ADVFN

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for discussion Register to chat with like-minded investors on our interactive forums.

SBRY Sainsbury (j) Plc

0.00 (0.00%)
16 Apr 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Sainsbury (j) Plc LSE:SBRY London Ordinary Share GB00B019KW72 ORD 28 4/7P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 260.40 259.80 260.00 - 0.00 01:00:00
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Grocery Stores 31.49B 207M 0.0878 29.59 6.12B
Sainsbury (j) Plc is listed in the Grocery Stores sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker SBRY. The last closing price for Sainsbury (j) was 260.40p. Over the last year, Sainsbury (j) shares have traded in a share price range of 244.10p to 310.60p.

Sainsbury (j) currently has 2,356,866,697 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Sainsbury (j) is £6.12 billion. Sainsbury (j) has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of 29.59.

Sainsbury (j) Share Discussion Threads

Showing 24101 to 24123 of 24125 messages
Chat Pages: 965  964  963  962  961  960  959  958  957  956  955  954  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
14/4/2024
08:59
Tesco’s chief executive, Ken Murphy, said last week that inflationary pressures had “lessened substantially”. But he warned that the costs of some key commodities including cocoa, coffee, potatoes and crude oil had continued to rise sharply.

Over the past two years energy bills have increased by 54%, broadband and mobile risen by 23% and food by 50% while some groceries including olive oil have doubled in price.

loganair
11/4/2024
07:50
#757 tesco margin is 4.3% while sbry is/was 3% per fy 22-23, so some way to go i think.
unastubbs
11/4/2024
07:45
bacon i gave u an upvote. you gave me a good laugh!! :))
unastubbs
10/4/2024
22:30
Shorts increasing? Too much competition from Aldi/Lidl. Might take a punt at 150p.
baconlover
10/4/2024
20:25
Per pound of turn over, if Sainsbury's are as profitable as Tesco are would mean Sainsbury's making circa £1 billion profit.
loganair
10/4/2024
17:02
nice ride today on tesco's coattails though wider market gyrations meant a poor finish. but altogether it all bodes well for prelims on 25 april.
unastubbs
10/4/2024
11:57
Aiming for sustainability and adding 1000s of best of British to products might have a huge factor
pirates4
09/4/2024
14:04
“For those supermarkets with falling volumes and rising costs it could be painful,” says Clive Black, an analyst at Shore Capital. “We expect sales numbers to be less strong for the foreseeable future than they have been for the last couple of years.”

"Room for manoeuvre will be limited as inflation is unlikely to entirely disappear, given the near 10% rise in the legal minimum wage in the UK, higher business rates and persistent cost rises on some commodities, including wheat, cocoa and seed oils, as the war in Ukraine grinds on."

"The ongoing issues in the Red Sea and a soggy start to the year in the UK are also likely to mean higher prices, and potential shortages of staples including potatoes as farmers struggle to harvest and plant crops."

loganair
08/4/2024
16:14
Aldi overtakes Asda to become Britain's third biggest supermarket, analysis shows
By PATRICK TOOHER:

Aldi has overtaken Asda to become Britain's third biggest supermarket, analysis shows.

It is the latest blow for the grocer, which has been losing market share to Aldi and fellow discounter Lidl since a £6.8billion takeover led by the Issa brothers saddled it with huge debts.

Co-owner Mohsin Issa has vowed to restore Asda as the UK's second biggest food retailer ahead of Sainsbury's.

A closer look at the figures reveals that its market share now lags Aldi's. Asda accounted for 11.7 per cent of the grocery market compared with Aldi's 12.2 per cent in the 12 weeks to March 23.

The news comes as Asda delays publication of its annual results. They were due last month but are not expected for another few weeks, sources say. No reason has been given.

In two decades, the German-owned discounters have come from nowhere and now take £1 of every £4.50 spent at British grocery store checkouts.

Former Lidl UK boss Ronny Gottschlich has said he expects the discounters' combined share will surpass that of market leader Tesco 'by 2027 at the latest'. But Tesco has proved resilient – and increased its grocery market share to 26 per cent, according to the NIQ figures.

It is expected to post strong results this week, with analysts pencilling in group profits – which include its international business and cash-and-carry operator Booker – of £2.9billion, up from £2.6billion the previous year.

Sales are expected to have jumped to around £69billion, against £57.7billion last time.

Aldi, which has more than 1,000 stores in the UK, is set to open another 35 this year but its pace of expansion has slowed recently.

Clive Black, of Shore Capital, said Aldi's growth was 'unsustainable', while Asda's trading momentum was 'worrying'.

Asda said other industry data, such as from Kantar, show it is still ahead of Aldi. And a source close to the company said: 'Market share data ebbs and flows, with gains and declines for grocery retailers each year.'

An Asda spokesman said: 'Asda's grocery market share was 13.8 per cent – a clear 4 per cent ahead of the current fourth biggest player – for the 12 weeks to 17 March 2024, according to the widely-followed Kantar data.

loganair
08/4/2024
16:04
Aldi overtakes Asda as UK's third largest supermarket:

Aldi is now the third largest supermarket in Britain after overtaking Asda, one set of industry data revealed, highlighting the desire from UK consumer to find value in their everyday shops.

Some 12.2% of the UK supermarket industry is taken up by Aldi, according to data compiled by NIQ in the 12 weeks to 23 March.

Meanwhile, Asda's market share has slipped to 11.7%, with it being the worst-performing supermarket in the last quarter, having experienced sales growth of 0.8%.

Aldi's growth in dominance has come in recent years as the cost-of-living crisis squeezes pockets and it continues to be the cheapest supermarket.

loganair
08/4/2024
13:46
Per pound of turnover, if Sainsbury's were as profitable as Bestway then they would be making over £2 billion in profit.
loganair
08/4/2024
13:18
There's the 2 million buyer again
pirates4
06/4/2024
08:45
As well as M&S which has circa 3.8% grocery market share, Kantar do not include Poundland, B&M or Poundstretcher etc in their UK grocery market share figures which Neilsen do.

Poundland currently sells frozen foods in 570 of its stores and fresh fruit and veg in 450 of its stores.

Over the 5 year period starting 2023, these discounters are expected to contribute some £2.2bln of grocery sales or circa 0.4% market share.

This means that Kantar do not include somewhere between 4.2% and 4.4% market share in their figures.

loganair
05/4/2024
23:18
In my opinion, Sainsbury’s has more potential for growth and market share gains than any other grocer in the UK. I’ve also stated several times that if Amazon wants to acquire a grocery retailer in the UK, they should acquire Sainsbury’s.”
havinthelasttoast
05/4/2024
23:16
The time is now for Sainsbury’s as UK grocery giant eyes huge potential for growth and market share gains

Sainsbury’s has more potential for growth and market share gains than any other grocer in the UK.

At present, however, there is too much focus on reducing costs and not enough focus on innovation.

That’s the view of Brittain Ladd, a supply chain consultant and former Amazon executive.

In a LinkedIn post, he said: “Although the size of the United States grocery market is around $850 billion annually, I believe the most fiercely competitive grocery market is that of Great Britain, with a market size of $295 billion.”

The market is dominated by four British retailers with a long history of operating in the country: Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, and Asda.

“Two German owned discounters, Aldi and Lidl, have forced all the other players to rip out costs and improve prices to avoid losing customers. It’s fair to state that Aldi and Lidl have severely disrupted Great Britain’s grocery industry,” Ladd noted.

He added that Amazon has a presence in the UK, but its grocery strategy is “severely lacking in my opinion. Note to Amazon: Close all Whole Foods stores.”

Ocado Group, meanwhile, is a player in groceries but, like Amazon, it has yet to come close to achieving its potential.

Ladd commented: “I’m often asked which of the grocery retailers in the UK do I admire the most and who do I believe has the most potential.”

“In my opinion, Sainsbury’s has more potential for growth and market share gains than any other grocer in the UK. I’ve also stated several times that if Amazon wants to acquire a grocery retailer in the UK, they should acquire Sainsbury’s.”

“SainsburyR17;s has reached an inflection point within the company. CEO Simon Roberts, someone I consider to be one of the best CEOs globally in the grocery industry, has outlined a transformation strategy that will increase market share and revenue, and also remove costs.”

“I’ve read the plan and I’ve spoken with current and former Sainsbury’s executives in off the record discussions. I believe the plan is sound. However, I do have several concerns.”

Roberts should, according to Ladd, leverage the leading thought leaders to gain a competitive advantage.

“Example: 345 Global has the most advanced integrated store planning, merchandising, sales and marketing, 3D, and digital twin software on the market.”

“Founder and CEO Mark Edwards would be an excellent advisor to the CEO and also to Graham Biggest (Chief Transformation & General Merchandise Commercial Officer at Sainsbury’s), Rhian Bartlett (CCO: Food), Mark Given (Chief Marketing Officer), and Clodagh Moriarty (Retail & Digital Director).”

The retailer should also design and implement a supply chain strategy and logistics network that enables growth vs. reducing costs, and introduce automated store fulfilment centres (which would be a first in the UK).

Ultimately, it needs to lead with innovation.

“I’m concerned that there is too much focus on reducing costs and not enough focus on innovation. For example, the science of auctions offers incredible opportunities for Sainsbury’s to beat everyone on price including Aldi and Lidl.”

“The time is now for Sainsbury’s. I wish them success,” Ladd concluded.

Sainsbury’s did not respond to our request for comment.

havinthelasttoast
05/4/2024
17:23
Latest market share according to Neilson:

Tesco......26.0%
Sainsbury..13.8%
Aldi.......12.2%
Asda.......11.7%
Lidl.......10.2%
Morrison....7.8%
Co-op.......4.0%

loganair
05/4/2024
17:10
Asda is moving closer to being overtaken by German discounter Lidl after another disappointing three-month sales performance from the private equity-owned grocer.

According to NeilsonIQ (NIQ), Sainsbury’s and Tesco grew by 7.9% and 6.3% respectively while Marks & Spencer shot ahead by 11.2%.

However, Asda’s sales fell in the first 12 weeks of the year with its market presence is also slipping, with its share now 11.7% against 12.3% a year ago.

Lidl’s market share, meanwhile, rose to 10.2% from 9.8%.

loganair
05/4/2024
11:18
Next time I am having a party I will invite you Logan to brighten things up.
havinthelasttoast
05/4/2024
11:10
In my experience the only place worse for food then the UK is the United States where food is tasteless, bland, sickly, grey and pumped full of processed toxic rubbish.
loganair
05/4/2024
10:43
Load of Bolox. I live in Portugal and lived in Spain and our supermarkets are far superior.

Marks and spenders in wilmslow was exceptional and the only similar here is Apolónia and Corte ingles in Spain.

They do not have the culture of ready meals in southern Europe that we have, everything else is practically the same and produced by the same big conglomerates with different names on it.

Your son is suffering from Brexit libtardness where everything in old Blighty is bad. It happens a lot. Some young jockeys travel away and believe the shyte smells better where they visit. I hate the U.K. but the idea that the food is better is a load of Brexit Bolox

Hope that helps you negative U.K. hating ball bag

Have you anything positive to say you old sour puss, you are a right miserable negative old oap aren’t you. Hope this brightens your otherwise miserable day.

Lovya loads x

havinthelasttoast
05/4/2024
10:38
My teen who does quite a bit of travelling on the continent, when ever he returns to the UK constantly complains how food bought from the supermarkets in Britain is completely tasteless, has no taste what so ever.

I must agree with this, even Taste the Difference or Tesco Finest has very little taste to them now days.

loganair
04/4/2024
10:27
Maybe you be best selling up Logan if you don’t think they doing a great job, let the players make the big doh. You been the bag holder for a few years but the toast is in now at 2.46 and I never lose.
havinthelasttoast
04/4/2024
09:31
Sainsbury's future of food report .........

UNREAL!!! You Won't Believe What They Just Announced... (MANDATORY)

Neil McCoy-Ward
421K subscribers

jimarilo101
Chat Pages: 965  964  963  962  961  960  959  958  957  956  955  954  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock