ADVFN Logo ADVFN

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for charts Register for streaming realtime charts, analysis tools, and prices.

SMT Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc

-14.20 (-1.72%)
19 Apr 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc LSE:SMT London Ordinary Share GB00BLDYK618 ORD 5P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  -14.20 -1.72% 810.00 809.60 810.20 816.20 797.00 810.00 2,479,247 16:35:25
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Unit Inv Tr, Closed-end Mgmt -2.91B -2.92B -2.0463 -3.96 11.56B
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc is listed in the Unit Inv Tr, Closed-end Mgmt sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker SMT. The last closing price for Scottish Mortgage Invest... was 824.20p. Over the last year, Scottish Mortgage Invest... shares have traded in a share price range of 604.80p to 898.00p.

Scottish Mortgage Invest... currently has 1,428,019,945 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Scottish Mortgage Invest... is £11.56 billion. Scottish Mortgage Invest... has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of -3.96.

Scottish Mortgage Invest... Share Discussion Threads

Showing 3701 to 3723 of 3725 messages
Chat Pages: 149  148  147  146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
19/4/2024
14:22
ScoMo takes a new position in TSMC - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company.
quepassa
18/4/2024
19:48
Bought some yesterdayLooks like it has started recovering today following nvidia.NAV £9
zam1
17/4/2024
11:16
SMT buybacks have been going on for ages. It's just the scale that'll be larger for the next two years.
lord loads of lolly
17/4/2024
11:09
Where would the share price be if the company weren’t supporting it?
wetdream
16/4/2024
15:27
peetle - I feel your pain!

With hindsight, some of these buybacks are bound to look better than others, as they're being done so frequently.

To be fair though, they did buy some hefty chunks at (currently!) half-decent prices the first week Elliott surfaced as a major holder - i.e.

2,559,132 Ordinary Shares at a price of 814.49p on 15 March
971,452 Ordinary Shares at a price of 830.43p on 18 March
989,170 Ordinary Shares at a price of 824.80p on 19 March
817,862 Ordinary Shares at a price of 840.49p on 20 March

Their subsequent transactions look less inspired for the time being. But hopefully they'll be buying in greater volume again now the share price has weakened, to average down overall.

lord loads of lolly
16/4/2024
15:00
Looks like their timing of these buybacks is as good as mine..
peetle
11/4/2024
08:13
A record on this bulletin board surely.

Now FIFTEEN upvotes for bmel's 3506

quepassa
08/4/2024
16:31
Anyway pleased with here today and ADT1.
hazl
08/4/2024
16:31
But did you buy any Que?

You haven't told us that!

hazl
05/4/2024
17:46
not many posters receive 8 upvotes.

Well done, bmel!

You clearly struck a chord with the enlightened.

You are right to give short shrift to the luddites and flat-earthers. Completely out of touch with the recent advancements and innovations in semi-conductors.

On the AI front,

ROOT has surged another 15% today to $81.

Astonishing.

Now a ten-bagger in the short six weeks since their results and announcements.

....nice.

all imo. dyor.
qp

quepassa
05/4/2024
13:57
Loganair

You make clear that you know nothing about:

- Nvidia and the technologies in which it is involved
- Artificial Intelligence
- the range of applications in which AI is being deployed (chatbots - really !!!!)
- the range of very large, and very smart, companies that are investing substantial
money in AI because they see business benefits

I leave you to wallow in your ignorance, bemused that you are on a chat board for a tech-centric Trust like SMT in a period where AI is at the core of an emerging technological revolution.

Have a good day

bmel
05/4/2024
12:40
Anyway back to Scottish Mortgage.
Down because of the drops in the Dow last night in America I expect.

But in the premarket Dow and Nasdaq looking better for this afternoon.

hazl
05/4/2024
12:38
Look at MTRO they have tried their best to squash that, yet it has the best reviews, customers love it.

But leaders don't.

hazl
05/4/2024
12:36
You'll be lucky!

It's going the opposite way.
Likely to be just central banks in the future is my best guess, once CBDCs come in.

hazl
05/4/2024
12:23
Cora for NatWest, every single question and I mean every single question I ask of it the reply is always phone or go into branch to answer my question or sort my problem out.

What desperately needs to happen in the UK is to return to small local call centres as how does somebody in Glasgow or Birmingham know about what is happening in the Isle of Wight or Bath etc.

loganair
05/4/2024
12:11
loganair - I think AI does have its uses & will revolutionise certain sectors.

However currently, I totally agree with you that it's not fit for purpose as a human chatbot replacement. Invariably, in my experience, the AI bot just tells you what you already know & can never resolve the problem you contacted it about.

Where there's an option to chat to a human, I invariably end up having to use that. Which makes the AI bot a pointless waste of time & money.

lord loads of lolly
05/4/2024
11:06
Nvidia doesn't actually make anything and all I'm ever hearing is the current share price is well over hyped and at some time in the future likely to fall in a similar way to Tesla.

More and more I'm having to conduct dealing with businesses via AI and almost every time in the end I need to get hold of a real person to chat with to sort out the problems that the AI has caused.

I have absolutely no faith, ZERO faith what so ever in using AI.

loganair
05/4/2024
11:06
Hi Logan,

You tend to have extreme or polarised opinions.

AI and ML are all part of the Tech Age which will increasingly pervade everything we do. AI is not going away.

It's the natural extension of microchip development. For decades we have had chips which needed instructions. Now they can think for themselves.

It's now getting to the point where growing numbers of people prefer and rely on talking to Artificial Intelligence chatbots rather than human interfaces in many cases.

I tried an experiment.

I put your second paragraph into the Google AI Chatbot called Gemini (recently renamed from Google Bard).

This is the response it gave me in a nano-second.

Pretty impressive and a good answer from Gemini:-

"I understand your frustration. AI is a powerful tool, but it does have limitations, and it's important to have realistic expectations. Here's a breakdown of your points:

Useless and Not Fit for Purpose:

AI excels at specific tasks where it can crunch vast amounts of data and identify patterns. It can be a game-changer in

Recommender systems (think suggestions on streaming services)
Fraud detection (flagging suspicious credit card activity)
Medical diagnosis (analyzing scans for abnormalities)
However, AI might struggle with open ended tasks or require constant human supervision in creative fields.
Never Learns:

Machine learning is all about learning from data. AI can improve its performance as it's exposed to more information and refines its algorithms.

Admittedly, there can be limitations

Data Bias: If the training data is biased, the AI will inherit that bias.
Limited Learning Scope: Some AI models are very good at one specific task, but struggle to adapt to completely new situations.
Machine Learning Hype:
There's definitely a lot of excitement around AI, and some claims might be exaggerated. It's important to focus on the real-world applications that are already making a difference.

Overall, AI is a powerful tool with immense potential, but it's still under development. Let me know if you'd like to explore specific examples of where AI is being used effectively, or areas where it has limitations."

Good Luck.

ALL IMO. DYOR.
QP

quepassa
05/4/2024
10:54
I guess you do not know very much about Nvidia.

Youtube has a video of Jensen Huang's speech at the recent Nvidia developers conference. It is close to 2 hours but gives a stunning insight to the range of organisations that are using Nvidia kit is AI applications.

You might think it is completely useless, but there are a large number of very large companies investing very very very large amounts of money in this space.

Maybe they have a better insight as to the scale of impacts this technology is already delivering, and this is still very early days.

bmel
05/4/2024
10:42
QP - And this time next year Root inc share price will have fallen by 50% to 75% compared to the $66.75 it is today.

My experience of AI, is it's completely useless and is not fit for purpose and definitely never learns. All this Machine Learning is just hype and a complete fallacy.

loganair
05/4/2024
10:27
jockthescot75 - quite! And I've now re-filtered him.

I removed the filter for a while to see if things had improved, but I guess a leopard never changes its spots.

lord loads of lolly
04/4/2024
18:59
Six weeks ago on 21st. February the stock price of Root Inc. was US$8.67.

Today the price is $66.75

+700% in six weeks.

NASDAQ:ROOT

Redefining car insurance by Machine Learning and AI

quepassa
04/4/2024
18:50
He's a bit of a stubborn prat LLL. I'd just filter him.
Let's concentrate on SMT.

jockthescot75
Chat Pages: 149  148  147  146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock