ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Registration Strip Icon for charts Register for streaming realtime charts, analysis tools, and prices.

AOF Africa Opportunity Fund Limited

0.00 (0.00%)
18 Mar 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Africa Opportunity Fund Limited LSE:AOF London Ordinary Share KYG012921535 ORD USD0.01
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 0.65 0.60 0.70 0.65 0.645 0.65 0.00 08:00:07
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Trust,ex Ed,religious,charty -1.5M -2.41M -0.1192 -5.45 13.14M
Africa Opportunity Fund Limited is listed in the Trust,ex Ed,religious,charty sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker AOF. The last closing price for Africa Opportunity was US$0.65. Over the last year, Africa Opportunity shares have traded in a share price range of US$ 0.493 to US$ 0.67.

Africa Opportunity currently has 20,215,000 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Africa Opportunity is US$13.14 million. Africa Opportunity has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of -5.45.

Africa Opportunity Share Discussion Threads

Showing 76 to 95 of 100 messages
Chat Pages: 4  3  2  1
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
22/2/2018
07:15
Share price 78.5c, NAV (est) 101.9c. Disc 23%.
jonwig
15/2/2018
12:20
After Zimbabwe, this SA change is what I was hoping for. Still at a big discount (est. nav of 99c), and weaker USD isn't helping me.
jonwig
07/2/2018
07:12
Share price 77c, NAV 97c.
jonwig
21/11/2017
16:53
Quarterly report for September:

Zimbabwe is 12.8%. Current events not mentioned, of course.

jonwig
21/11/2017
15:24
Who knows, AOF might get something back (12.5p/sh is the provision):

(12/09/17)

jonwig
21/11/2017
11:21
Have bought back after a good few years(2014sold, I think). Whether Zimbabwe gets on its feet I don't know, but can only hope the populace won't put up with more misery.

The Shoprite dispute is still plodding on, but they seem to have a provision against it in their NAV, and we're at a decent discount to that.

jonwig
24/7/2015
09:11
One for the future.
ifthecapfits
19/3/2014
06:52
I hold mine with TDDirect, can usually be traded online.
jonwig
18/3/2014
18:58
How can I buy this fund? Hargreaves Lansdown don't offer it!
lloyds66
07/3/2014
14:39
NAV rises over 3% in one month (Jan) and 5.3% ytd.

That's annualised 31% - which won't happen of course!

jonwig
28/2/2014
06:51
Are Frontier Markets overvalued?

And is the move by AOF to treble its size and move to main market a 'sell' signal?

jonwig
10/2/2014
08:03
Intention to move to main market and 'C' share issue up to $100m:

Current MCap is only $51m.

jonwig
25/6/2013
06:51
Final results. The first detailed comment from AOF on Shoprite:

The possibility of litigation about AOF's Shoprite shares which we mentioned briefly in last year's annual report is becoming a certainty. Shoprite has conveyed to us its intention to seek to reverse the allegedly unauthorized trades in its shares. In its briefest form, we bought shares on the Lusaka Stock Exchange via open market purchases only to learn later that some of the shares sold were apparently treasury shares of Shoprite. The Company now claims its shares should not have been sold and that we should have known better than to buy them. The argument to us is absurd. Anonymity is a cornerstone of stock market trading and we had no knowledge of the identities of the different sellers of Shoprite shares. Furthermore, it is one thing to know that Shoprite is the seller of shares in Zambia (which we did not); it is another thing, totally unrelated, to deduce from that knowledge that the seller of Shoprite shares is allegedly engaged in unauthorized or fraudulent transactions. We cannot think of any reason why we should have suspected, let alone known, as reasonable stock market traders, that Shoprite was a victim of such transactions. Apparently Shoprite has a claim against its agent; however, based on legal advice obtained from Zambian, South African, and English counsel, we believe any claims against AOF will be successfully defended. To date nothing has been filed at Court by Shoprite though we have been advised by Shoprite that the filing of court papers is imminent. We believe that our title to the Shoprite shares is valid and that we will be able to rebut the arguments that we believe are being advanced by Shoprite. In the meantime, unsurprisingly, Shoprite's conduct has had the effect of discouraging trading of Shoprite shares in Zambia and harming the interests of legitimate shareholders like AOF. We will take all steps in our power to defend any legal action that may possibly be taken by Shoprite against AOF and to recover any losses that may arise as a result of Shoprite's conduct.

jonwig
10/6/2013
08:41
It's just possible that last week's fall has something to do with the Zambia-listed Shoprite shares.
The situation is explained (somewhat!) here:

hxxp://cfo.co.za/profiles/blogs/shoprite-halts-dividends-in-zambia

The FY results are due later this month, and some litigation is pending. It appears that some Lusaka-listed shares are 'missing'.

A positive result is expected by AOF and could lead to an immediate uplift of around 4c in NAV. The worst case (Shoprite holding = zero) would lose about 10c from NAV.

But more likely EM blues.

jonwig
20/4/2013
06:43
David Stevenson is keen on Africa and on AOF:

... my preferred play is a small, but well-regarded Aim-traded outfit called the Africa Opportunities Fund (AOF) managed by Francis Daniels. This trades at a 20 per cent discount to net asset value and invests in both African equities – key holdings include the big continent-wide retailer Shoprite and west African mobile phone network Sonatel – and government bonds. Unlike many other funds, South Africa is only a small part of the portfolio.

A much bigger chunk – 18 per cent, as at the end of 2012 – is in Nigeria. If I had to make a choice and pick one equity market that I think could be a dominant player over the next decade, it would have to be this one.

jonwig
08/4/2013
09:21
Last month saw 7.8% increase in NAV.
jonwig
10/3/2013
19:09
'Africa Calling' - is the investment community moving to the next rotation?
jonwig
22/2/2013
15:24
From AFMF's FY results:

Africa Opportunity Fund (6.0% of net asset value)

This London traded closed end fund had a difficult six months by African standards, with the NAV performance held back by exposure to resources companies. The NAV return was 7.1% on a total return basis but the share price return was -3.0% as the discount to NAV widened from 12.9% to 21.2%. The portfolio remains concentrated in deep value situations across Africa, many at the smaller end of the capitalisation spectrum. At the time of writing the ten largest investments (over 70% of NAV) were trading on a trailing average Price to Earnings ratio of 7.5x, a dividend yield of 7.5% and a Return on Equity and Return on Assets of 31.5% and 17.1% respectively. The fund will hold a continuation vote in the first half of 2014 and will likely witness discount narrowing in advance of that event.

jonwig
16/2/2013
08:45
Investing in Africa:
jonwig
07/2/2013
14:22
NAV (see header) up 4.7% over the last month, hence the share price reaction.
Makes up for some underperformance late last year.

A relatively safe entry to Africa has to be Unilever [ULVR].

jonwig
Chat Pages: 4  3  2  1

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock

By accessing the services available at ADVFN you are agreeing to be bound by ADVFN's Terms & Conditions

Support: +44 (0) 203 8794 460 | support@advfn.com