ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for alerts Register for real-time alerts, custom portfolio, and market movers

BLEY Bailey(C.H)

0.00 (0.00%)
28 Mar 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Bailey(C.H) LSE:BLEY London Ordinary Share GB00B6SCF932 ORD 10P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 92.50 85.00 100.00 - 0.00 00:00:00
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
0 0 N/A 0

C.H. Bailey Share Discussion Threads

Showing 1701 to 1722 of 1725 messages
Chat Pages: 69  68  67  66  65  64  63  62  61  60  59  58  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
06/2/2019
17:21
They were trading nearly 30 years ago just like a private company from my experience & knowledge of this dog.

Holding AGM's on New Year eve & Boxing day!

Recall they had property assets valued at £5.8m at early 1970's last valuations - they never bothered to re value these even during the cardiff Bay Docklands Regeneration period plan in the late 1980's - early nineties.

euclid5
14/1/2019
08:07
Shame as while I sold a while back I used to be in regular contact with Charles Bailey telling him they should delist as a waste of time. While frustrating at the time it is the right thing to do but it is shameful that they have done this with no regard to the underlying asset value.
harrogate
14/1/2019
07:17
I see the family have decided to finally completely screw the rest of the shareholders. No surprise there.
arthur_lame_stocks
25/11/2018
16:14
Thanks for your answer, if I have understood you it seems that you never transfer money into your Spanish bank account, but only into your English account. Perhaps you have a source of income in Spain, but I do not and therefore I need to make regular transfers into my Spanish bank account from my brokerage account. Alliance Trust agreed to do this for me after much pushing, and only because there had been a history of such transfers before they acquired Stocktrade. I am reluctant to transfer money from the brokerage account into my English bank account, and then transfer money from that account into my Spanish bank account, not only because I would incur two sets of fees, but more importantly because the whole process would take that much longer to complete.
mesquida
25/11/2018
13:28
1. I opened the selftrade account - then under a different name - whilst living in the UK.

There was no intiial problem when I subsequently moved to Spain; in the last six or seven years, however, I've twice had acounts frozen and been obliged to get identity papers "validated" by a local lawyer. (God knows why selftrade imagine lawyers are particularly upright members of society; no evidence for that). Quite ridiculous.

Especially, as I only ever transfer money from my selftrade account into an English bank account, which has been my designated bank account for 15 years plus.

I have reduced the amount of business I do with them as a result.

2. similarly at Hargreaves Lansdown, except they made things as easy as posible when my address changed; never threatened to freeze accounts etc.

3. WH Ireland account was opened when i was already resident in Spain. again I only ever transferred money into my English bank account.

I had a couple of other brokerage accounts, but I shut these, before the ridiculous paranoia about money-laundering.

I agree: things are getting worse; I still fear what complications Brexit will bring!

cjohn
16/11/2018
16:39
Thanks for that CJohn, but as a matter of interest did you open these accounts after you had moved to Spain, or whilst you were still resident in the UK. Also can I ask, have you opened these accounts relatively recently or are they long standing relationships, because it does seem to me that it is only during the last few years that brokers have started to have the attacks of paranoia that you have experienced with Selftrade! Also, one final question, are any ( or all ) of the brokers that you have mentioned comfortable with making SWIFT transfers to bank accounts in Spain. Alliance Trust, for example, were none too happy about making such transfers, suggesting that they could only make transfers into my UK bank account and then I would have to arrange a transfer from that account over to Spain ( thus involving two sets of charges ), and only agreed to transfer directly to my Spanish bank account when I threatened to take my business elsewhere. I am not looking for regular weekly or monthly payments incidentally, just just 3 or 4 times a year I like to make a sizeable transfers so as to allow me a reasonable standard of living over here !

I am bound to say that I do find all this very frustrating, for when I was broking I would regularly send money to Spanish bank accounts ( for known clients ) on the strength of a phone call and on a same day basis. Sometimes it does seem to me as though we are going backwards rather than forewards !

mesquida
16/11/2018
11:08
Hello Mesquida,

I'm resident in Spain and have accounts with Selftrade/Equiniti and Hargreaves Lansdown. I used to have an account as well with WH Ireland.

Hargreaves Lansdown and WH Ireland have been excellent regarding my Spanish resident status. I've never had any issues, after providing details of passport/ Spanish residence etc.

Selftrade were Ok for many years, but now every few years have attacks of paranoia about money laundering, when I've had to prove who I am yet again.

cjohn
14/11/2018
21:29
Like most of you guys, I've traded the stock as best as possible over the decades and still have a residue holding.

What's needed is a professional punter to get interested.

With a big wallet and professional legal team he might be able to realise the company's wealth.

The board have no reason to do so.
Private investors are, individually, unable to do so.

coolen
14/11/2018
16:42
To be fair I've followed this stock a long time but never bought. The family seem to treat it as their own personal feifdom. I remember the stitch up on the share consolidation and the £800k or so that just used to disappear every year via Bermuda.

Personally I couldn't imagine investing here, I think it provides very nice summer holidays for the family and not much for minority holders and will be ever thus.

arthur_lame_stocks
14/11/2018
16:15
Hello harrogate. Alliance Trust are selling the share dealing operation to Interactive Investor. Deal will probably complete next Spring.
I do agree with you re Alliance Trust's performance, never in my life have I had to wait so long to get money out of my account. However my problem is that i am based in Spain, and not many brokers will open an account for me ( guess that it is all to do with money laundering legislation ), so it was easier for me to stay with Alliance Trust. But i am always keen to hear about other peoples' experiences. Who did you switch to ? Would you recommend them ? Do you know if they are relaxed about dealing for people who are based in Spain ?
I am not looking for an advisory service, purely dealing only, but i do need a good backroom service in terms of cash withdrawals, corporate actions etc. I was in broking myself, so i like to think that i know a good operation when i see one. ( Brewin Dolphin, and A.J.Bekhor, if your memory goes back that far !)

mesquida
14/11/2018
15:29
I am afraid that I do tend to follow those shares I held for a long time out of curiosity. I have NO expectation at all that I will be back in here and I do not see where you see the hidden value now at all! I moved from Alliance Trust as they were hopeless and got out cost free at the time. My wife is still with them though and they continue to be hopeless 0- what is the news
harrogate
14/11/2018
15:28
To be fair to Harrogate I've been "waiting patiently" for over a decade!
callumross
14/11/2018
14:56
Harrogate, how interesting that you sold out several years ago on the back of the news about the sale of the hotel in Malta but here you are still looking in on this board. Either you have a very sad life, or - and to be fair to you, I think that this is the more likely option - you have recognised that there is a treasure chest waiting here to be unlocked one day but you do not want to see your capital doing nothing whilst waiting for the big day ( hence your decision to sell up and move on ), but neither do you want to miss out on what could be a real beanfeast ( and so you continúe to look in here in the hope that you might be able to jump in just before the treasure chest is unlocked ). Oh, if only life was so easy !!! In my view you have to build your position now, and wait patiently for the inevitable. When something does happen ( and i am sure it is "when" rather than"if" ) there is no way that you will be able to buy more than a handful of shares. But having said that, so far you have done the right thing, assuming of course that you have used the capital that you took out of here profitably.
Seem to think that you used to deal vía Brewin Dolphin. If so, are you now with Alliance Trust ( who took over Brewin's Stocktrade subsidiary ). Are you aware of the latest developments concerning Alliance Trust ?

mesquida
14/11/2018
13:48
Don't !! The time has gone. I held from 2002 in the hope that they would sort Malta and they eventually did - not that it produced anything except a small special dividend. I was fortunate to sell the day that the planning and thus the sale was finalised and that has turned out to be the top. Now they are just a small mixed bag of assets and trading businesses that are best left to management to run in the comfort of their own board room. This time there is no big win that could change the outlook for minority shareholders
harrogate
14/11/2018
13:36
I need help, I need to lie down......so tempted to BUY.......!
chrisdgb
11/11/2018
19:01
Well, your reticence to invest has not resulted in a missed opportunity to date! As usual they will probably announce interims in the last trading day before Xmas.
callumross
11/11/2018
17:28
Hi callumross,

This is a share I look at every year and decide against buying in, in spite of the discount to tangible assets.

I don't think there'll be a special dividend. The exceptional profits were non-cash ítems; there's no standard dividend; and there's net debt.

cjohn
21/9/2017
17:10
Grumpster, you have not replied!
mesquida
17/9/2017
15:56
Sorry grumpster, but I do not understand the reference to Landau . The only Landau that I recall was a lawyer turned company promoter back in the 80s called David Landau, but I do not think that he was ever connected with c.h.bailey. Regardless of that I am intrigued that you used to work for the group. Which part, may I ask? Personally I had hoped that things would change after the death of the old man, but so far I have been very frustrated.
mesquida
15/9/2017
20:43
"Dad must be turning in his grave."

Very much doubt it.

Used to work for these people in the 1980s.

What a laugh.

Never really dawned on us that shareholders were making up any shortfall, or paying for the latest "novel" idea.

They ought to write a book. An AIM bible.

This is how it should be done.

It would be a best seller.

The Landau's and co. might be very pleased with themselves, but they've never lived.

thegrumpster
03/8/2017
08:16
Another classic example of why you should invest in a family-controlled company WITH EXTREME CAUTION ..... if ever! Dad must be turning in his grave.
ansc
03/8/2017
08:11
And why do they keep saying year after year that the non-freehold property is worth at least £24m in their estimation but don't then carry out a valuation and state this in the balance sheet! Agreed, Harrogate. No regrets about exiting this one.
callumross
Chat Pages: 69  68  67  66  65  64  63  62  61  60  59  58  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock