ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for discussion Register to chat with like-minded investors on our interactive forums.

SMT Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc

9.60 (1.09%)
28 Mar 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc LSE:SMT London Ordinary Share GB00BLDYK618 ORD 5P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  9.60 1.09% 894.00 894.00 894.40 894.60 881.00 886.60 12,336,646 16:29:43
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
Unit Inv Tr, Closed-end Mgmt -2.91B -2.92B -2.0463 -4.37 12.77B
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust Plc is listed in the Unit Inv Tr, Closed-end Mgmt sector of the London Stock Exchange with ticker SMT. The last closing price for Scottish Mortgage Invest... was 884.40p. Over the last year, Scottish Mortgage Invest... shares have traded in a share price range of 604.80p to 894.60p.

Scottish Mortgage Invest... currently has 1,428,019,945 shares in issue. The market capitalisation of Scottish Mortgage Invest... is £12.77 billion. Scottish Mortgage Invest... has a price to earnings ratio (PE ratio) of -4.37.

Scottish Mortgage Invest... Share Discussion Threads

Showing 3651 to 3674 of 3675 messages
Chat Pages: 147  146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  137  136  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
28/3/2024
07:44
Investment Trusts are trading at wider than normal discounts for at least 2 reasons

1 an overhang from EU regulations forces Investment Trusts to double count, and report, on costs giving a misleading indication of performance. The industry has been lobbying about this and Hunt, in his March budget announced that HMG and FCA are consulting on this and will change the regulation following review i.e. they are making sure that they've missed nothing in eliminating this double counting

2 Pension funds specifically are investing more in longer duration assets and less in UK equities with the result that pension funds only have 2% of funds in UK equities. Hunt in his March budget addressed this and is changing regulation to encourage and force pension funds to invest more in UK equities.

The hope is that both these will skew the investment patterns in the UK which should help narrow the discounts in Investment Trusts.

It's interesting to note that Elliott invested after the March budget. Therefore one could surmise that Elliott invested due to the regulatory changes announced in the budget ie its a regulatory trade, which if done on a lower share number due to buy backs, gives a turn on the money invested. It is perhaps less to do with activist (asset stripping) reasons. When Elliott invested there's view that the AI theme has been overbought, the Mag7 30% increase since October was done and that rotation now implies industrials etc. There's no evidence that Elliott are better at Stock picking nor choosing advisors which investment theory tells one is an impossible game as mean reversion and sector rotations kick in.

septblues
27/3/2024
11:55
good points LLL - haven't looked at Alliance 11 - 17 - just last 10 years
septblues
27/3/2024
11:08
septblues - whilst Elliott's 5% holding is significant, it's insufficient to force SMT's managers into any major U-turns. They could, of course, increase it (they held almost 20% of Alliance Trust back in the day). But I don't see that happening here - for now at least.

Not sure where you get the idea Alliance was only tracking its benchmark index during the period Elliott was involved. I suggest you look up its historical prices on FT.com between 2011 & 2017 which show this is simply not the case.

Interesting what que passa reported about today's SMT webinar. I've not listened to it yet, but the fact they sounded "much more upbeat, relaxed and confident than for a long time", saying "they have had constructive discussions with Elliot and that their interests are aligned" is encouraging. Though admittedly, they could be spitting feathers behind the scenes & just putting a brave face on things.

lord loads of lolly
27/3/2024
09:48
If Alliance is only tracking its index it might as well become an ETF and release cost savings to investors

Elliott technology fund has only delivered c 5% pa growth long term. Jesse Cohn an Elliott senior technology investor's background appears to be in tech companies past their sell by dates. Typical approach of selling bits, use company cash to buy back shares (a strategy which can be theoretically challenged on investment terms), cost cutting and so on.

Florida investors can be like the Glazers at Man Utd, take the cash and let the asset wither.

SMT is a closed end company. all actions should be in the interest of the company and not a minority shareholder.

septblues
26/3/2024
19:40

An excellent webinar today with ScoMo's two fund managers who were sounding much more upbeat, relaxed and confident than for a long time.

It is worth listening to today's webinar when uploaded to the ScoMo website.

Several shareholder questions had been submitted about Elliott.

The answers from the Presenters were notably tight-lipped and uncharacteristically short as well as predictably vague,nebulous and non-committal.

The answers given however were to the effect that they have had constructive discussions with Elliot and that their interests are aligned....

Everyone can form their own opinion as to whether the implementation of a massive Share Buy Back Program and the arrival of Elliott are linked or are coincidental. Either way, the very rapid narrowing of the discount-to-NAV is most welcome. Good news for shareholders.

With Baillie Gifford sister funds, Edinburgh Worlwide and US Growth Trust, now both languishing far behind ScoMo at c. 15% discount-to-NAV, let's hope that Elliott take a stake and/or Baillie Gifford announce a major Share BuyBack Program for those Investment Trusts as well.

all imo. dyor.
qp

quepassa
26/3/2024
18:21
Well they are off the naughty step as the worse performing investment trust in my portfolio.
caternia
26/3/2024
17:55
Will US activist Elliott revive Scottish Mortgage shares?https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-13237493/Under-siege-activist-help-revive-Scottish-Mortgage-investment-trust.html
livewireplus
26/3/2024
10:13
SMT was outperforming Allianz and Polar until the opening up trades met Covid closing down trades met some part of the AI Gartner Hype Cycle met Fed interest rate changes met China sanctions met Ukraine war met rotations etc

Most of those Elliott could not have forecasted accurately or mostly generally otherwise it would have boarded SMT mid 2022 or early 2023. It's come on board late and missed some value accretion. As it is SMT has tracked Alliance over 1 year.

septblues
26/3/2024
09:20
Historically trading at a Discount-to-NAV of some 10-20%, the current Discount on dual-quoted Canadian General Investments has ballooned to around 40%.

LSE:CGI
TSX:CGI

Top holding Nvidia 7.4%
Other top-ten holdings include:- Descartes 3.4%, Apple 3%, Amazon 2.6%.

some may consider this exceptional value, with a discount likely ripe for rapid compression.

all imo., dyor.
qp

quepassa
26/3/2024
09:19
better comparison are Allianz, Polar etc.
a steeple chaser doesn't need a point to point jockey on its back

septblues
25/3/2024
15:58
I was already a holder but I must admit I bought some more purely on the unscientific reasoning that an "activist investor" is likely to cause some activity and, whilst their involvement may not directly cause a strong upward movement, it is unlikely to be down!
jeffian
25/3/2024
14:53
faz - some buybacks produce long term benefits, others don't.

What's perhaps more relevant here is Elliott's involvement (which probably kickstarted SMT's new buyback scheme in the first place).

As I've posted previously, it's worth reading up on Alliance Trust's "run in" with Elliott. In 2017, Elliott finally sold its holding in AT, saying:

"When Elliott became a shareholder over five years ago Alliance Trust had poor corporate governance and its shares traded at more than a 15% discount to net asset value. Since then, corporate governance has improved, an external asset manager has been proposed and the discount has narrowed to less than 5%."

You can read the full article via the link below. Whilst Elliott's relationship with AT was certainly fractious, the end result was largely positive:

www.citywire.com/new-model-adviser/news/elliott-ends-war-with-alliance-trust/a987878

lord loads of lolly
25/3/2024
11:15
we'll have to wait and see re Elliott, but the share buy back alone should keep the share price bubbling for a bit
faz
25/3/2024
10:29
I agree you "can’t see any real context or relevance in those stats"
septblues
25/3/2024
08:15
LLL - I'm a holder
septblues
25/3/2024
08:05
septblues - can’t see any real context or relevance in those stats.

But assuming you’re an SMT holder, if you don’t see any opportunity I suggest you simply sell & move on.

I still believe Elliott’s involvement will be beneficial to SMT’s short-medium term performance. And by that I mean over the next 2-3 years. Longer term, who knows what’ll happen to ANY share.

lord loads of lolly
25/3/2024
07:34
to put it into context

SMT market cap £12bn

market cap of Nvidia $2trn
Microsoft $3trn
Apple $3trn
Amazon $2trn
NYSE $22 trn
NASDAQ $25 trn
US stock markets $49 trn
Global Stock Markets $110 trn
Magnificent 7 market cap $13 trn
Non Magnificent 7 market cap $97 trn
Global GDP $85 trn
unquoted ?

some are overvalued, some are undervalued, some are income, some are growth

unquoted

cant see opportunity?
use of cash ?

Elliott are short term value
SMT is long term growth

septblues
24/3/2024
11:00
LLL - I haven't looked at Alliance over two different time periods so I'll take your word for it.
septblues
24/3/2024
09:00
Ah a bit in the Sunday Times about Elliot and Scottish Mortgage Trust.

Even they have used the word 'feared'.

I believe that SMT's stance was that they kept Nvidia and the high flying companies like it, because they couldn't see a better use for their cash, should they sell some.

Again, some say that if they continue ro be lieve in Nvidia going forward....and I support in theory, some of Nvidia's own mantra , to some extent, in that they are just at the start of this game changer, as an industry, they are in.

Perhaps SMT fear they might not be able to buy back cheaper in the future,as it goes from strength to strength?
Whilst some are predicting an eventual drop in the share price,who knows?
Some of the biggest names in the tech have just kept going up.

If it is carried out, will the cash lose value, as cash always does, if they cannot see anything better to invest in, as I seem to remember them claiming?

I could be wrong on that...I would have to see if those were just my thoughts.

Finally Space X!

I do hope they don't sell too much of that!
Is it just another way of attacking Musk?
Whatever, I m just a small person in the big scheme of these things.
I have admired SMT's choices of shares over the years, their advisors have been spot on.
The only reason I haven't jumped in for more recently, is because of the general market climate.
Elliot might know what they're doing but as I say I fear short termism and as a major shareholder they can over ride some of SMT's managements decisions....which I personally think is a shame.

I see space as a growing area, for investors.

IMO

hazl
23/3/2024
16:16
Septblues - you’re missing my point. I’m not comparing SMT to Alliance in any way.

I’m simply pointing out that Alliance’s performance over the decade preceding Elliott’s intervention was WAY lower than the eight years following it. You can look up Alliance’s share chart quite easily to prove this.

I’m not saying the improvement was all down to Elliott, but it’s highly likely at least part of it was. Given the timing, it also wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to believe that the catalyst for SMT’s turbocharged buyback programme was Elliott’s increased intervention & holding. And the short term benefits of that are already clear for all to see - 14 March SMT closing price = 781p, 22 March = 879p.

lord loads of lolly
23/3/2024
09:59
It seems an American activist known for mounting aggressive campaigns

has become the largest shareholder.

hazl
23/3/2024
09:54
I have just seen these posts and will look at the article.
Thank you faz.

My initial reaction was dismay about Elliot being involved.

These days everything is so shortermism in effect.
However will read the article and see what they have to say.

hazl
23/3/2024
09:49
Written up in the Times today hxxps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-activist-swoops-on-scottish-mortgage-jmgtvh3nk might be a pay-wall.
faz
22/3/2024
20:43
small discount to NAV now and much wider when I last followed this stock and traded it
arja
Chat Pages: 147  146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  137  136  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock