ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for discussion Register to chat with like-minded investors on our interactive forums.

RPC Rpc Group Plc

0.00 (0.00%)
28 Mar 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Rpc Group Plc LSE:RPC London Ordinary Share GB0007197378 ORD 5P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 792.60 792.40 792.60 - 0.00 00:00:00
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
0 0 N/A 0

Rpc Share Discussion Threads

Showing 3626 to 3650 of 3650 messages
Chat Pages: 146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  137  136  135  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
22/8/2019
11:49
Don't worry mate, i'm not about to pawn the family silver and stick it all on black! I have a couple of g's to play with, and i'd like to see how playing the market would fare versus a low to medium risk isa, if it bombs then it's a lesson learned, but won't leave me having to sell a kidney to pay the mortgage! Thanks for the info!
psn1
21/8/2019
22:16
Hi psn1,
I posted as social chat, but with hindsight my comment is goading you into action, that I did not intend.
Investing has many pitfalls and being age 61 with working life that helps my sixth sense to level the playing field with the big boys, but have still had some losses.
Whether investing is good for you is a big topic. Even if it could be, it can be time consuming to monitor, that in itself doesn't fit with many folks life-style.

Alternative: Invest in yourself! Start a side business, invent something.. but even inventions take dosh that could be lost.

Making money ain't easy, but losing it is easier, so think long and deep where best to spend your money AND invest your time. :-)
IMO.

FWIW I am with AJ Bell / YouInvest.
Very best wishes.
Dave

dr_smith
21/8/2019
20:42
Thanks for that Dave. Do you favour any particular platform for trading? Thanks.
psn1
21/8/2019
13:17
psn1: Since our consensus of opinion SMDS has gone up around 5% in 3 days!
My opinion (and likely that of fellow posters here) is likely based on a long term horizon, but a nice cushion for starters! :-)
Dave

dr_smith
18/8/2019
19:58
I hear what you're saying guys, my aim is for my cash to make just that little bit more than i'd get than if I were to leave it festering in a bank account, and that's pretty much it really. This SMDS sounds like it might be worth sticking a couple of quid on, just to see how it fairs.
psn1
18/8/2019
19:01
I also put some of my RPC proceeds into SMDS (down nearly l5% at the moment and I don't think the dividend I captured amounted to that much) and RIO , also down and Morgan Sindall (breaking even). Debating whether to top up SMDS.

FWIW psn1, I topped up my Polymetal holding on May 1, 2018 at 714,49 and they are now 1084,50 and I hear gold funds are doing well but unless you are prepared to watch like a hawk you would probably do better with a plodder. As things are at present, it's all even more of a gamble than usual.

I see Questor in the Sunday Telegraph is recommending Unilever as a buy, having rated them as a sell in Jan. 2018, since when it has gone up nearly 20%. LOL. Conclusion: you probably have just as good idea as to what to buy as anyone else, including the analysts and financial journalists. Just keep on the right side of Lady Luck.

bouleversee
18/8/2019
18:47
I appreciate you're joking, psn1, but, seriously, investment is a long-term business and going into it with a get-rich-quick mindset is entirely wrong IMHO and will lead to some bad decisions.

I started in 1972.........!

jeffian
18/8/2019
16:12
A wealth of info, as expected. Thanks very much chaps. Next year when I undoubtedly retire after amassing a considerable fortune and appear on the cover of Forbes, i'll ensure you guys are adequately provided for....
psn1
18/8/2019
13:12
I placed half my ill-gotten gains from RPC into SMDS.
jeffian
18/8/2019
11:56
I second SMDS, although my avg cost basis is around 340p after the recent slaughtering, I'll be adding more at the 310p levels as my intrinsic value for the stock is at 380p. As usual make sure you do your research and understand the business well enough before investing!
gabsterx
18/8/2019
10:49
I am learned.
I have learnt whilst Mr T is around normal laws of investing based on economics are irrelevant, it is a game of chance until status quo resumed.
Personally, through losing, I have learnt not to invest in Gold, oil and mines as geo-politics has a dominant unpredictable influnce on them.
I prefer predictable supply and demand foresight, slowly slowly catch the monkey as you won't find that special navigators pocket watch worth millions in real life!

I switched my RPC money into SMDS, so same sphere for portfolio balance and I expect its demand to be on the up.

IMO

Dave
aka Rodney ;-)
..not really.

dr_smith
18/8/2019
09:40
Morning all, like Lazarus, this post has returned from the grave. I'm looking for a bit of advice, if any of you learned investors have any to offer, I mean. I've done okish out of the RPC sell out, and was looking to stick the cash into something else, in the deluded Del Boy-esq hope i'll be a millionaire by this time next year (ha ha indeed). Do any of you think that gold is a decent investment at the moment? I hear a lot of chat about it, but for a novice, it's hard to guage the legitimacy of what I read. Any advice would be welcome.
psn1
18/7/2019
10:36
Got out a few weeks back, bird in the hand and all that. Good result overall. All the best to all on this BB...have enjoyed many of the posts.
cheshire pete
18/7/2019
10:25
Last Post! Money's in the 'Gorton Tank'.
Good luck to all you past contributors (even Nut-Job), hope you all end up as Squillionaires.
Nice knowing you all.
Kind regards,
Bill.

billywhizz1
18/7/2019
10:25
Last Post! Money's in the 'Gorton Tank'.
Good luck to all you past contributors (even Nut-Job), hope you all end up as Squillionaires.
Nice knowing you all.
Kind regards,
Bill.

billywhizz1
11/6/2019
15:01
I'm out as I expected this to drag on - even after agreement done. So as you say Billy, good news for those sstill patiently holding.
dr_smith
11/6/2019
14:37
GOOD NEWS FELLAS !!

RPC have announced that the resulting cash proceeds are expected to be credited to Shareholders within two weeks of the effective date (by Monday 15 July 2019).

billywhizz1
16/5/2019
08:58
gettingrichslow,

Sorry, only just seen your response in #3602. I think that RPC was sold too cheaply. I don't think that the fact the bid succeeded proves that view is 'wrong' or that I have a closed mind. It more likely reflects the situation of the institutions by whose decisions we are bound, what their cost price was and whether they want to crystalise a profit. I have a substantial holding in EIG (formerly Enterprise Inns) and rode the shares all the way up to £8 (considerably more in real terms taking into account shares issues etc).....and all the way down to 25p! I have been a critic of their strategy for years and even tried to garner support from the main shareholders for an alternative, but as the shares have recently recovered to around 220/230, the perspective of someone who bought lower and has seen a multiple increase in value is rather different to someone who sees it in terms of 'recovery'! Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I think I was just bridling at the "closed minds" comment.

jeffian
16/5/2019
08:41
Have now managed to reinvest part of the proceeds in D S Smith. Looking a bit rocky in the short term but in the long term I hope it does what RPC did for me - good growing dividend stream and capital growth.
jeffian
04/5/2019
17:37
Jeffian, you're completely missing my point. I'm NOT saying anyone who resisted the bid or who were unwilling sellers are therefore people with closed minds. I'm saying that anyone who dismissed the notion that it could end up being sold for a low price had a closed mind. They are very different things. And for the record, I too was a holder and resisted the bid and was against it. But I realise that my notion of the value of the company was (evidently) different from the market's view, and I accept that they may well be right and I may well be wrong!
gettingrichslow
04/5/2019
16:28
gettingrichslow,
There are many examples of companies being taken over on the cheap - when I challenged one Chairman who was taking his company private, he responded "I can because the market lets me" - but it doesn't mean that those of us who resisted this opportunistic bid have "closed minds", just that we were unwilling sellers. It's all over now, of course, but thanks for taking the trouble to come back and tell us what you think of us!

jeffian
04/5/2019
15:34
I actually listen to all of them and then form my own judgement.
bouleversee
04/5/2019
15:12
Bouleversee, your definition of having an open mind isn't very open-minded! How about considering that all your instincts might be completely wrong and trying to understand the arguments from the opposing viewpoint? Just listening to 20 others with the same view as yours will always lead to 'confirmation bias'.
gettingrichslow
04/5/2019
14:43
Jeffian, fair enough so one or two may have believed it was possible at the time, but the general point remains that nearly everyone convinced themselves that the 'true value' was north of £10, yet the reality is that it can't have been, because nobody has offered at that kind of price. I don't think pointing that out is being smug, I'm just stating facts and how there has been an element of 'group-think' on this board.
gettingrichslow
04/5/2019
10:26
Getting rich slow -

On the contrary, I think some/many of us have very open minds; open to the potential value of this company and the possibility of someone coming in with a higher offer, which Berry did, albeit only 11p better. Of course, anything can happen and terrible things do but surely it's better to fight on rather than throw in the towel at the first punch. Depending on the size of the holding, even 11p is worth having though admittedly it is a long time to wait and we would have done better to sell at the high point. So easy to be wise after the event and such a pity we don't have crystal balls but at least some of us do have some. (Am not including myself, being female!) It could just as easily have gone the other way, smugface.

bouleversee
Chat Pages: 146  145  144  143  142  141  140  139  138  137  136  135  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock