ADVFN Logo

We could not find any results for:
Make sure your spelling is correct or try broadening your search.

Trending Now

Toplists

It looks like you aren't logged in.
Click the button below to log in and view your recent history.

Hot Features

Registration Strip Icon for alerts Register for real-time alerts, custom portfolio, and market movers

BAE Beale

0.00 (0.00%)
28 Mar 2024 - Closed
Delayed by 15 minutes
Share Name Share Symbol Market Type Share ISIN Share Description
Beale LSE:BAE London Ordinary Share GB0002559291 ORD 5P
  Price Change % Change Share Price Bid Price Offer Price High Price Low Price Open Price Shares Traded Last Trade
  0.00 0.00% 5.875 - 0.00 00:00:00
Industry Sector Turnover Profit EPS - Basic PE Ratio Market Cap
0 0 N/A 0

Beale Share Discussion Threads

Showing 751 to 770 of 775 messages
Chat Pages: 31  30  29  28  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  Older
DateSubjectAuthorDiscuss
03/4/2020
10:49
BAE withdraws dividend.
pooltowerpower
26/9/2015
19:58
BAE's 'Green killing fields'
UK arms manufacturer BAE Systems is bringing us ‘Green killing’ with a new generation of what it laughingly calls ‘environmentally-friendly weapons’. Apparently, it wants to reduce the dangerous compounds emitted by its jets, fighting vehicles and weapons, like depleted uranium (DU) dust, which it warns “can harm the environment and pose a risk to people”.

BAE’s initiative was welcomed by the UK Ministry of Defence, which has itself proposed ‘environmental impact assessments’ for all new weapons: quieter warheads to reduce noise pollution, grenades which produce less smoke, etc. There have even been experiments to see if explosives and landmines can be turned into manure.

BAE’s growing range of so-called ‘Green weapons’ now includes:

bullets with lower lead content because “lead used in ammunition can harm the environment and pose a risk to people”
armoured vehicles hybrid diesel/electric engines to reduce carbon emissions
weaponry which releases fewer toxins like volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other hazardous and often carcinogenic chemicals
more stable artillery, which does not blow up accidentally and has a longer shelf life, reducing waste

Ed.- (i) As BAE reminds us, “no company, regardless of what they make, can now just make a product, bung it out there, and then forget about it,” and “we all have a duty of care to ensure that from cradle to grave products are being used appropriately and do not do lasting harm.”

(ii) Tungsten.
BAE has abandoned DU and returned to weapons-grade tungsten alloys to harden the tips of its weapons in 2003, allegedly due to environmental concerns. Environmental concerns aside, tungsten-tipped missiles are equally effective at piercing armour, but cost less. There is no question that weapons tipped with a weapons-grade tungsten alloy are preferable to weapons tipped with DU. The tungsten alloy used is not radioactive and does not vaporise on impact, spreading long-lasting carcinogenic radioactive particles over a wide area.

However, Tungsten is the third heaviest element and can be combined with copper, nickel, iron, and cobalt to form heavy metals. The body requires trace levels of some heavy metals (e.g. cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, strontium and zinc) to maintain good health, but even low exposures to other heavy metals (e.g. mercury, lead and cadmium) can lead to cancer and neurological damage.

Although virtually no safety research has ever been done, the toxicity of tungsten and tungsten alloys for human health has been seen traditionally as low. This may soon change. Researchers at the US Army Forces Radiobiology Research Institute in Bethesda, Maryland (US) embedded tungsten alloy pellets into rats to see what might happen to a human wounded by tungsten alloy shrapnel. They were surprised to find that every rat showed signs of cancer development after only one month and tumours within four to five months. The same may apply to humans. [1] So it is all a question of degree. Tungsten alloy shrapnel is as indiscriminate as DU dust, but does not spread as far.

(iii) Another study from the US Centers for Disease Control found childhood leukaemia clusters in the area around the once tungsten-mining towns of Fallon, Nevada and Sierra Vista, Arizona (US). [2]

temmujin
26/9/2015
19:56
LETS PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE
temmujin
05/4/2015
19:24
Perloff must have alternative use plans in mind, I suspect. There is normally an angle to his deals. I still don't believe he invested in Beale as a going concern being his primary motive. It has been evident for years to me that Beale were only a few years from insolvency. You have to be a slick operator to make a success of department stores and Beale are decades off the pace!
topvest
04/4/2015
21:44
Low offer may have seen a total rip off to PI shareholders however rumour is sales at my local Beale are not looking at all good and down. March has been bad for the majority of fashion retailers and according to the Mail on Sunday Bank Holiday been a washout as well with the high street with less footfall. They expected a bounce after a dismal March and it hasn't materialised.

Perloff may not have offered much for the company but he has yet to turn it round and that may not materialise!

The company was on my watch list way back but I avoided as I didn't like his stake.

simon templar qc
05/2/2015
10:19
Panther owm all the freeholds bought from the Co-op and rented to Beale, while Beale own the older stores, most of which are larger and better positioned than the former Co-op ones.
Perloff rented the ex-Co-op units with a rent free period which is at or coming to an end and the units are not making money to cover the new rents. So one way or another Perloff had them.
I believe most of the Co-op units are unviable and as the previous poster said, will be converted to units for budget retailers.Some of the larger original Beale units may be more difficult although ground floor retail with flats above is likely for some of them.
Anyway that's Panther's problem now - not Beale's
Oh dear - just remembered - I hold Panther!
GAN

ganthorpe
22/1/2015
07:52
Convert them to 99p stores, Primarks and Poundland?
topvest
21/1/2015
23:46
Good post Simon.

If Beales ceased to exist what do you think Perloff would do with the freeholds ??

I was in Winchester recently and popped into Beales for a gander, it seemed very dated, the busiest area was the coffee shop, the Winchester store imho wouldn't suit residential use so I wonder how Perloff would get a return on his investment as there aren't many options for premises of this nature.

I imagine Beales will continued to trade as it is paying Perloff the rent etc however going forward I doubt there will be much investment in the business.

eastbourne1982
21/1/2015
23:41
Doubt it. AP got the board over a barrel he owns the freeholds, he has preference shares and has a large stake as well. He can prevent the company raising money and he could block a vote with a special resolution.

What the board could have done is called his bluff and said if you don't allow us to raise money we will enter administration but he would have probably done a pre-pack deal with the administrators so shareholders could have ended up[ with nothing.

I feel sorry for holders its always a danger when someone like AP takes a stake like he has done.

Been watching this for a way back as he holds stock in Elektron and he owned some freeholds there as well but, he only has a small stake in Elektron and most of his property gone with disposals.

The board was probably foolish for getting rid of Simon Peters but its questionable whether it would have made any difference as the company was struggling.

Would he have been more forgiving if they hadn't got rid of SP?

I really don't know, however with his stake and preference shares and the landlord of the properties he had the company all tied up.

He has a lot to do however but for the freeholds the business model is risky there is too much competition out there. Worse scenario for AP is the business fails but if that happened he would probably still have the freeholds.

simon templar qc
21/1/2015
21:30
Re Post 97, might shareholders have some claim against the board ?
coolen
20/1/2015
19:43
Perloffs announcement above in post 97 is probably the most interesting RNS I have ever seen. It must go down in history as a classic!
topvest
19/1/2015
21:38
Perloff has the last laugh...

Panther chief exec Andrew Perloff attacks 'foolish' department store group after it evicts Simon Peters from its board

I have long held the view that:

1) It is foolish to upset your Landlord.
2) It is foolish to upset those that provide you with finance.
3) It is foolish for a quoted company to upset its largest shareholder.
4) It is foolish to sack a director who is knowledgeable, well connected and who does not charge a salary or any expenses.

"In one fell swoop Beales has managed all of these, which must be some type of record! It is hard to understand their logic."

playful
19/1/2015
14:01
Classic Perloff deal this one. He has well and truly circled on Beale. You have to be impressed by such a master asset stripper in action!
topvest
19/1/2015
11:18
Some you win some you lose !! Moving on to the next one. May as well wait for the cash with the forlorn hope of a higher offer.
knitcraft
19/1/2015
11:08
CR: Sorry you have been stuffed - If I thought there was any value left in deprtment stores I might be inclined to organise a counter offer but I suspect the business model is broken and also too much historic baggage including the pension scheme.
pugugly
01/10/2014
08:50
Not much stock about if they mark up on tiny buys like that imo

CR

cockneyrebel
19/9/2014
20:51
I got a pile at 9p about 12 months ago when it looked as though it might be curtains. Could be about to pay off sometime soon. Like you CR held in SIPP.
knitcraft
19/9/2014
17:01
I've been holding a little while actually knitcraft, since late June. Added more today. Amazingly I couldn't get any volume with Hargreaves, wouldn't trade 10K+ but a call to my broker and he bought at the bid which was strange.

Just a buy and wait in the pension for me - looking back in the past to 2006-07 when these were 140p a share they were doing half the earnings in H2 that they did in H1.

I'm assuming losses in H2 which looks likely but the tenor of the CEO's comments sounds as if they are seeing a real improvement in H2 despite a tough economy.

And as you say - that is a lovely bowl - which is what caught my eye initially :-)

CR

cockneyrebel
19/9/2014
16:13
You are a bit but not too late...just look at one of your lovely bowls forming.
knitcraft
18/9/2014
17:53
Pruta gone over 4% (3.4% previously I think).

Interesting - the interim management statement is due any day.

CR

cockneyrebel
Chat Pages: 31  30  29  28  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  Older

Your Recent History

Delayed Upgrade Clock